• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re home

hello

I was wondering if anyone coud help at all, i have 2 rabbits that i love with all my heart. They live out side at the moment and are quite happy the only problem is im moving and i will no longer have out side space.
At the moment they have an open run in the garden that they have all day unill night fall and then i put them back into the hutch for food and rest.
I wonder if i need to rehome or can i house train. Im not sure i will have the space for this as i have a dog but they get on quite well as tallulah is bigger than my dog lol!
Oh i really dont want to give them up but if its best for them then i will.

Any help or advice would be good.

Timmy and tallulah, both done and up to date with shots.:roll:

Rabbits can be house trained yes. Using litter trays :) I'm sure someone on here can give you more advice as I havent litter trained my bunny.

You can definitely have them indoors if your dog isn't aggressive towards them.

Litter training is pretty simple as rabbits are clean animals. If you get an indoor cage (XX large puppy crate would be cheaper tbh) and see which corner they like to toilet in, just put the tray in that area and add some of their poops and a bit of wee soaked paper and LOTS of hay (they like to poop and eat :roll: ). They should pick it up really quickly. If they poop in other places just sweep them up and put them in the tray so they see fresh ones in there too. Honestly it's really easy - most take to it in a couple days. All 10 of mine are litter trained, makes cleaning out SO much easier!

You can buy a play pen/run to add to the puppy crate so they have access to run about :)

Yes they can definately be house trained and most will get on well with dogs. However I would never leave a dog and rabbit unattended so you will need to make sure you are able to have them kept separate when you are not in.

Most rabbits will do fine indoors. You may have to take some precautions eg protecting woodwork and electric cables.

I used to live with a dog, she and my two houserabbits were allowed to interact together under strict supervision and the only trouble we ever had was the rabbits nipping the dog! But it's 100% dependent on the personality of the rabbits and dog involved.

You must make sure they're completely separate when you're not around, in my case, when I went out the bunnies went in a cage in ym room and the door was closed so the dog couldn't get in.

Aye dogs and rabbits must be supervised. My rabbit is extremely nervous so when I get my puppy in 2 weeks, I'm not sure if I will let him near her much at all even when she's in the hutch.

They eat vegetables, hay, and grass.
well rabbits should not be fed lettuce as it gives the a bad stomach and can give them diarrhea
they eat fresh grass, hay and vegetables not so much vegetables but fruits which have fallen from trees. they do not simply eat any hay they will only eat the quality hay high in fiber. they also eat their own faces to ensure they get all of the goodness-out of their food, they will eat the same dropping up to five times!!
I've been told by a Vet that rabbits have a different digestive systems, bread will clog their stomachs, however {Patches) steals bread. She gets a variety of food such as bok choy, rabbit pellets, carrots, sweet/corn, celery, carrot leaves, she does like apple every now and then. grass, dock leaves and dandelion, along with puha and watercress. She drinks water alot when she is eating just pellets, we will give her fancy lettuce if we are having salad, she eats the cats food so we have started feeding them when we lock her in our bedroom and then remove their remaining food out of her reach. I let my daughter kill her fleas if she gets them and Patches doesn't mind, but if you no of a treatment that is safe let us know.

Reporting this post.

wtf :shock:

Maybe just confusion before we all get excited :?

Edit *just seen the link on the bottom :roll:*

Nice one Graham :D

wtf :shock:

Maybe just confusion before we all get excited :?

Edit *just seen the link on the bottom :roll:*

Nice one Graham :D

:wave::D

Dont get the point of spamming on forums *shrug*

Bye bye spammer :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bunnies are soooooo easy to housetrain it's ridiculous!

Just put their litter tray where they like to go, with hay either in it or a hay rack above it and there you have it.

Easy peasy.;)

Poppy used to be an outside bun until I took her with me when I moved into my own flat. Like other posters have mentioned, set up the hutch as normal and take a note of which corner they prefer to wee and poop in, then just put the litter tray there. I also have one in the living room when Poppy is in there with me, I just leave some of her poos in it and a good handful of hay and she can sit there quite happily :)

My view is to keep your buns,even if you had to cage them for a while,as who knows what will happen next year.I lived in 4 different houses during Wills lifetime & her freedom & way of life was adapted each time to match each house.I believed she would rather be with people that loved her,no matter what.:)

Back