• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Agressive doe - hormones?

Bink

Mama Doe
Hi all,

My lovely, fluffy Fifi turned into a little monster the day after we had George castrated. She is 3 and a half months old, which is too early for a spay. She used to be this shy, curious little being who would love having her head stroked and always rush up to greet you at the edge of the run.

She is now biting on a daily basis, grunting, aswell as rearing up and boxing. I haven't noted any nesting but she has become very territorial over her bedroom - surely surely surely this is hormones? I can't think of any event or experience that could have triggered this, aside from George being gone for 24 hours (their runs are next to each other so they can see one another).

Does anyone have any suggestions for calming her down until she is old enough to be spayed? I have read somewhere that I should invest time just sitting with her, not trying to pet her, basically ignoring her so that she realizes I am not a threat?

Please help!

Definately sounds hormonal.

Won't be much you can do to calm her down im afraid until she is spayed, from waht i understand.

without wishing to be the voice of doom, my spayed doe started showing all these behaviours after I'd had her a couple of weeks (settling in period). She is horribly terrotorial in the hutch and still quite a stroppy doe when she is out, so the spaying may not be the answer to yuor problem. With Sparkle, she is alot better outside the hutch, comes for treats etc and will climb all over me. I do hope you get back to loving bunny that she was - I just think Sparkle was probably never that kind of girl! :lol:

without wishing to be the voice of doom, my spayed doe started showing all these behaviours after I'd had her a couple of weeks (settling in period). She is horribly terrotorial in the hutch and still quite a stroppy doe when she is out, so the spaying may not be the answer to yuor problem. With Sparkle, she is alot better outside the hutch, comes for treats etc and will climb all over me. I do hope you get back to loving bunny that she was - I just think Sparkle was probably never that kind of girl! :lol:

yes my female rabbit did this just 1 week before she was due to be spayed. i put my hand in the run and she bit on to the skin between my thum and finger, when i lifted my hand out she was hanging on and there was blood. as soon as she was neutred she was her old friendly self.:D

Back