• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spot has appeared on Peter.

Sweetney

New Kit
HI guys just wondering if anyone might have an idea about this, my little dutch Peter is 16 months old and today I noticed a spot on his bum that wasnt there yesterday.
He seems to be worrying it every now and again but otherwise it dosen't bother him, he lives indoors with wilma who hasnt got anything wrong apart from a tiny tiny bit of yellow gunk on her bottom that wiped away easily, I took some phtos and he has a vet appointment at 4pm just to in case.
Any ideas?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50229608@N06/sets/72157624612161807/

There are several possibilites I can think of from very minor to more serious. The pictures aren't very clear either. I think it's best you let your vet check it out at your appointment today and take it from there. Good luck :)

Thanks for replying.
Sorry about the picture quality. I was doing my best to get a clear picture, without stressing him out too much, as he is quite a nervious bunny.
Your bunnies are gorgeous. How do you get their coats so shiny?

Thanks for replying.
Sorry about the picture quality. I was doing my best to get a clear picture, without stressing him out too much, as he is quite a nervious bunny.
Your bunnies are gorgeous. How do you get their coats so shiny?

Brush them everday! :D

I wouldn't worry about getting a good pic and stressing bunny out before his vet trip, just let the vet have a look. Last year Nino had a spot on his willy and everything from pasturella to treponema (rabbit syphilis) went through our heads... it turned out to be an ingrown hair! :shock::lol: So try not to worry, as I say, it could be something or nothing so best to get the vet to diagnose it and you just keep Peter nice and calm and cool for his trip to the vet, and a nice treat for afterwards :D

Well the vets were lovely, they gave him a shot of antibiotic and a anti emetic to stimulate his appetite and gave the spot a rather vicious investigation and clear out.
All in all I think they were lovely and they checked wilma over too just in case :)
They think he may have just got bad luck and developed a harmless spot for no reason at all.
Just been told to bath the area with the spot with salt water everday and dry it throughly and put antibiotic gel on it everyday and see how it heals, if its not better in a week its back to the vets for a check up. :D

I'm glad that they felt it was nothing too serious. I hope it goes away soon. I would keep a close eye on it as pasturella abcesses can occur anywhere on the body if bun is carrying it in the upper respiratory tract in particular and then puts his nose to his bottom this can transfer the infection. Hoping it dries up soon :)

Should I be looking out for any other signs other than the spot not healing?

He seems pretty peeved off this evening but you could see he felt much better for having the gunk cleared out of it afterwards he even managed a couple of binkies before falling asleep, hopefully all will be forgiven later.

He sneezes quite a lot, the previous owners said he has allergies to dust but as he hadnt ever seen a vet till I took him in I doubt how true that could be, he has been a bit off his food but he will someties go 24 to 48 hours with a funny eating pattern and then return to normal without any problems.

Sorry to be so cynical but I would be concerned that this spot is not just a spot. :? The only reason my boy had a spot was because there was an ingrown hair in the follicle which my vet discovered by using a magnifying glass and was able to remove it quite easily, if it hadn't have been that i'm certain the diagnosis would have been pasturella. Keep a close eye on it and carry on with the bathing. If it is still there in a few days I would take bunny back for another look personally, especially with the sneezing history.

I was wondering if it could be an ingrown hair, when I first found it I did the usual google diagnosis and wondered, I am going to keep a very close eye on it and make sure it is examined again if it isnt healing, my worst nightmare would be to think he was in pain or sick and I didnt do something to make him better, especially as they have had such a rough start in life :(

I was wondering if it could be an ingrown hair, when I first found it I did the usual google diagnosis and wondered, I am going to keep a very close eye on it and make sure it is examined again if it isnt healing, my worst nightmare would be to think he was in pain or sick and I didnt do something to make him better, especially as they have had such a rough start in life :(

I'm sure he is not in pain or sick - bunnies don't binky when they feel like that. :)

Just keep a good close eye on it that's all and pop him back if you are worried for another look. Rather than use salt water we used a mild dilutable clinic disinfectant for bathing the wound our vet gave us - but salt water will do just as well.
Sorry if I have worried you, just think with these things it is better to be cautious. Quite frankly Peter is very lucky to have such a caring owner - few owners would have noticed a spot on the rear end like that so well done for being vigilant. :)

Back