• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D- Noodle has sore hocks now see new post...PLAY BARK?

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
I think Noodle's foot is getting sore due to her amputation... their run is on concrete...

There are no cuts and hair is all there but it looks quite dark pink........

Im thinking of getting these? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/32SQFT-ANTI-F...S-GARAGE-OUTDOOR-/330448654237?pt=UK_Flooring

good idea or not?

CAN ANYONE SUGGEST WHAT I CAN PUT DOWN PERMANENTLY ON THE CONCRETE RUN TO PREVENT SORE HOCKS? I DONT WANT GRASS AS THE WETNESS WILL MAKE IT WORSE? THE ABOVE MATS MAY GET CHEWED? SAND IS MESSY...

HAVE I MISSED ANYTHING?

Last edited:
We've got these :wave: Got ours from screwfix, same sort of price. Use them in the hutch, outside on the patio and at the bottom of the staircase in the hallway under the mat as they provide really good impact cushioning for exercise areas. As Jane says - as long as bunny doesn't chew them they will be fine.

If your bun has sore hocks then she will need something much softer than these for her rest/sleep areas however as they are very firm foam and not giving enough for anything more than hopping about on.

ETA have also discovered they are waterproof too - just need to pour the water off them after a shower. Found this by leaving the patio ones out in the rain.
When they arrive packaged up they smell quite strong so I would open and leave to air for a day or so before using as strong smells can entice a bunny to chew.

We've got these :wave: Got ours from screwfix, same sort of price. Use them in the hutch, outside on the patio and at the bottom of the staircase in the hallway under the mat as they provide really good impact cushioning for exercise areas. As Jane says - as long as bunny doesn't chew them they will be fine.

If your bun has sore hocks then she will need something much softer than these for her rest/sleep areas however as they are very firm foam and not giving enough for anything more than hopping about on.

ETA have also discovered they are waterproof too - just need to pour the water off them after a shower. Found this by leaving the patio ones out in the rain.
When they arrive packaged up they smell quite strong so I would open and leave to air for a day or so before using as strong smells can entice a bunny to chew.

ooohh good advice,

im not sure she has sore hocks but think they may appear soon

too late, today I noticed a small sore on her foot...... am sending OH out to buy some yoga mats, i ordered a fleece mat last night for th ebed which should helo and am going to start tea bag compress.....

need help, advise and vibes.......... what else can i try :(:(:(

I feel so guilty

Poor Noodle.

Can you afford at least two pieces of real vet bed for her sleeping area?
My old bun with nadgy joints thinks snuggling into megazorb under piles of hay at night is the best thing I ever put in her hutch. [I put vet bed over the megazorb in the winter so she stays warmer]

Give the foam padding a try and see if it helps her. If you fit it well so no ends are stuck up and tempting she is less likely to chew. There are also horse mats that might work but I simply do not know enough about them but someone on here who also keeps horses may be able to help.

If you cannot get on top of this for her could she become a housebun or stay in a deluxe cage overnight so you can give her a rest form hard surfaces and treat her hocks?

Pickle has been suffering from sore hocks, their run/hutch is on concrete until we move them onto grass in a week. This is what I put in their run in the meantime to help cushion his feet: A big piece of artificial grass (its quite spongy and you can hose it down if it gets messy), straw beach mats on top of the "grass" (just in case they were ever tempted to try and chew it) and then a very thick layer of hay.

In the hutch I layer towels/sheets with fleeces on top.

Although Pickles hocks are much better and the fur is growing well I had noticed recently that his feet bled a little a couple of times. They were in boarding for a week a couple of weeks ago and stayed in a single tier hutch (their own hutch has 2 levels). When I collected them, the owner, who also runs a rescue and knows a fantastic amount about rabbits, said Pickle's feet had been fine the whole time and not bled. She said that with one of her residents who suffers with hocks, they noticed they got worse when he was in a 2 level hutch, as running up the ramp and twisting on his feet at the top seemed to put more pressure on his heels. I think this may also apply to Pickle, as the spots of blood I found were only on the top level, near the top of the ramp. When we move them onto grass they will be living in a shed rather than hutch so will be on one level, which I hope will also help.

Sorry for such a long post, I think the causes are different for every bun, but I think the point about the ramp is interesting, I'd never considered it before.

thanks all.

she is one a one level run due to her having 3 legs anyway. Have bought some vet bed for the inside but its the outside run area that is the problem.

OH went and got the foam, i am working night shifts I said 'come get me out of bed i have to help you put them in' . Did he???? Err no.

He threw one in willy nilly and they ate it......

So now have that to worry about too. I went MAD

I have just ordered these myself! :lol: for their kennel run. Haven't laid them as yet as I've also got the foam down you bought :shock::lol: mine haven't eaten any though, they're pretty good for not eating the wrong things.
Soon as these get tatty I'll be laying the mats down. :D

I tend to avoid that type as it may be abrasive, similar to carpet.
I read wasn't good for buns with sore hocks.

I tend to avoid that type as it may be abrasive, similar to carpet.
I read wasn't good for buns with sore hocks.

Oh :( thanks

im really stuck for ideas......

house bunny is not an idea at all- no room plus Earl lives indoors plus they would DESTROY the place.

I can get a shed but not got the finances and wont have for several months....

Bark would be too abrasive for sore hocks.
The only thing weve found that works is to cover the area with a good deep bedding of soft hay.

The foam mats you put in your first post that I said we use I think are different to what you bought and the rabbits ate. The interlocking mats are much denser firmer foam and once locked together would be very hard for bun to nibble on.

The foam mats you put in your first post that I said we use I think are different to what you bought and the rabbits ate. The interlocking mats are much denser firmer foam and once locked together would be very hard for bun to nibble on.

thanks, think i will give them a go......

I can put deep hay outside? as soon as it rains it will get mushy...

I can put deep hay outside? as soon as it rains it will get mushy...

I put deep bedding down for Oscar, as he has poor back legs.
I have a couple of the corrugated transparent roof sheets over his run (£6 each) and it stays completely dry - would that be an option?

Yes sorry I should have pointed this out too as I have both the same types of foam you have. The camping foam is more flexible but the foam square matting is not, you can't roll it, it's much thicker and durable.
I'm trying to save mine for when I'm back off hols as buns will be with Kay, then I can have a revamp before going back in and ready for winter.
I think they're your best choice.
Only prob is OH ordered a light grey and not black :roll:

Back