• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could I have done anymore?? Found injured baby wildie

carly s

Warren Scout
My hubby brought home an injured baby wildie last night :(
I hope I did the right things, but unfortunately it did die. I wrapped it in a towel and put it in a carrier in a quiet room away from my own bunnies. I didn't ring the vets/RSPCA/RWA as to be honest it was 9pm at night and I kind of knew that it wouldn't make it. I think it had been hit by a car and hubby found it laying in the gutter. It's back legs were totally floppy and it dragged them the one time it actually moved. It died after about an hour with us and we buried it in the garden. Feel guilty about not doing anymore but am hoping I did enough to make it's last hour comfortable and at least away from predators etc.
Never had this experience before and despite owning lots of books on rabbit welfare etc, there was no advice!
Poor little thing, it was ever so sweet.

Sounds like it had a spinal fracture with those symptoms, I doubt very much that anything could have been done at all other than euthanasing bunny humanely. Sometimes being at a vet clinic can be extremely stressful for a wild rabbit, and although I would have been inclined to take bun to be euthanased immediately, I don't think you did the wrong thing by leaving bun somewhere peaceful and dark to pass away either. Most likely the extreme shock and adrenaline would have negated any pain or suffering. Better to die somewhere quiet and peaceful than in the gutter. Very sad indeed for you both :cry: Take care x

I thought it had broken its back. Hubby (great big softy) really upset, well we both were. Thanks for your reply x

My hubby brought home an injured baby wildie last night :(
I hope I did the right things, but unfortunately it did die. I wrapped it in a towel and put it in a carrier in a quiet room away from my own bunnies. I didn't ring the vets/RSPCA/RWA as to be honest it was 9pm at night and I kind of knew that it wouldn't make it. I think it had been hit by a car and hubby found it laying in the gutter. It's back legs were totally floppy and it dragged them the one time it actually moved. It died after about an hour with us and we buried it in the garden. Feel guilty about not doing anymore but am hoping I did enough to make it's last hour comfortable and at least away from predators etc.
Never had this experience before and despite owning lots of books on rabbit welfare etc, there was no advice!
Poor little thing, it was ever so sweet.

I had a similar experience - held up rush hour traffic from Basingstoke to my village to pick up injured little wildie sitting by gutter. Think may also have had had myxie. Poor little thing died in my car, but at least was wrapped in towel and not left to be run over. Neighbour buried in his garden as I was worried about my own rabbits and infection. I think we have to reassure ourselves that we did the best we could given the circumstances. Doesn't help with the feeling of sadness though, does it. x

You absolutely did the right thing. This bun was sadly going to die anyway. Atleast you allowed it to go peacefully with dignity instead of lying in a gutter.
Hugs to you and hubby xxx

I agree, you did the right thing. Was a very kind thing to do- your hubby bringing the bun home. Liek others said you allowd it to die piecefully which is a lot more than it would have got being in the gutter.

Fanx!! So are yours. Dave is the best, he is like a labrador puppy, just loves kisses and attention. :D

Aww!! :love:
Thankyou! :love: They are my babies!! :love:

Jims is just like a puppy too!! He follows me around, begging for food and attention, he pushes his nose under your hand for a snuggle then if you stop he looks up at you in disgust and pushes your hand again! :lol: :love:

Aww!! :love:
Thankyou! :love: They are my babies!! :love:

Jims is just like a puppy too!! He follows me around, begging for food and attention, he pushes his nose under your hand for a snuggle then if you stop he looks up at you in disgust and pushes your hand again! :lol: :love:

Sounds just like Davey!!

Back