• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Don't know what to do...

paulinejoe

Mama Doe
Hi, you may or may not remember me posting a month or two ago about a work colleagues bun who i went to feed when they were on holiday at reighton, and he was in a tiddly indoor cage, and she was on about getting rid of him as no longer practical due to personal reasons.

Well, she's now saying her OH is going to take him to PAH for adoption on thursday and she's gutted, she still wants to get rid of him but she'd rather i had him as she'd know he'd gone to a good home rather than a stranger via PAH, she's said she'll pay for his jabs as he's never had any.

my problem is this - money :? My two are due both lots of jabs at the end of the months so thats £80, then I need to get Jess spayed in the near future as she's 8 months old so thats going to be near enough £100 then I need to get a hutch cover which is going to be about £100, which is all fine as I would have spread the cost over the next few months but now i'm feeling really pressured to take George.

The original hutch i had for Joejoe when we first got him is a pets at home one, i think it was parsley den, he was never shut in it as it's obviously too small it was just a base when we lived at our old place and he had his own room, well i gave that away to someone at work when we got him a proper indoor cage as they were going to get ferrets but they haven't and they've said I can have it back.....I know it's too small for George but i'm thinking, it is 2 if not 3 times bigger than what he's in now and it would only be until February at the latest when I get my bonus from work and i could afford a proper 6x2x2 double decker......

Joejoe & jess have got a 6x4 run and hutch combo but there isn't the space for another one of those in the garden.

So after this big long waffle, my question is this, do I let George go to PAH or do I take him, but in a small hutch (albeit bigger than what he's in now) for about 5 months? Or is there anyone on here who could take him?

I can't afford to insure another bun either, i know it's "only" £9 a month but there's also the food and ongoing jabs etc too and i'm on a debt plan thing so moneys tight to say the least and I'd hate to take him then not be able to afford to treat him if he needed something doing, he's never seen a vet in his life so i don't know how his teeth etc are.

My head is telling me i cannot afford this rabbit but my heart is feeling so guilty that he may end up somewhere horrible through PAH.

It's a tough one, I know because I've had it happen to me too. The way I got round the situation was that I took in the bunny but managed to find him a place at a rescue almost straight away (it was the one I got my two from and I donate to them monthly, so I was helping with the costs).

If you took him in, you could try to rehome him yourself or do like I did and find him a place at a rescue. If you really can't afford it though, you will have to let him go.

Lots of vibes whatever you decide,

FC x

Personally as hard as it is I would say no. Obviously finances are a concern an any additional bun you take on is potentially drawing on funds that could be spent on your existing buns. Its better to have two buns with a great quality of life than 3 with an adverage one. If the situation was really dire obviously I'd reconsider but there are some nice people who adopt via pets at home.

Well,

it sounds like you have a few options.

1. Take him in and then try and rehome him to someone through this site. It would give him more time to get a better chance of a good home. if you can't afford him long term but can give him a better chance than PAH this might be a better option.

2. You could keep him maybe try and bond him with your other buns and that way you wouldn't need to invest in two hutch/run combos- assuming your current set up is big enough. Take up the owner's offer of getting him vaccinated. Would they also pay for him to be neutered (sorry assuming George is a boy here, apologies if its a girl!). But then you need to consider your finances. If you can't afford to insure, what would you do if a big vet bill came in?

3. Suggest rescues other than PAH? Are there any nearby who have room? Couldn't they try to rehome him themselves?

Just some thoughts, feel free to ignore!:D

ETA: we got Sprocket and Widget from the vets at PAH (they do separate rehoming to the shop). :)

Thanks, I'm glad you've both said that because you're right and really i'm taking on her guilt about getting rid of her rabbit when it really isn't my problem to feel guilty about, i think it's worse cos I've seen him and he's such a cutey, but yes i'd end up having to skimp on things like their hay and treats which isn't fair on my original two, and I've had to get him a wifeybun so would be 4 in total and I just can't manager that, it's £320 a year alone in vaccinations for 4 .....

We adopted Joe from pets at home so yes there are also nice people about who adopt from there of course, i think it's easy just to think the worst isn't it.

i think she thinks i'm definitely going to take him, because i was kind of mulling it over when she was down here earlier, i'll just have to blame my OH and say he said no :roll:

kittykat - we must have been typing at the same time, yes fostering him for a bit is an option i guess. yes he is a boy so neuterings not quite so urgent as if he was a she but then what if i can't find anywhere for him? then i'm stuck with the poor boy. I'll have a google in a minute for any rescues close to Leeds where he lives. Thanks :wave:

I guess a lot also depends on your local P@H - if it's one with good staff and good conditions he might be better off in there than in his current tiny cage, so there's less for you to feel guilty about.:)

Hello :wave:, you could try the Yorkshire Animal Shelter - they are up by Leeds Bradford airport.

I have to agree that if money is an issue, say no. There is no point you not being able to provide for your buns comfortabley to take on another. Although if she is that concerned about him going to P@H, perhaps try and help her find another shelter?

Btw just out of curiousity - where do you get your hutch covers? I've not seen one over £40 :?

Back