• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lillies

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Am I right in thinking Lillies are poisonous? I have been given the most beautiful plant but it is a lily and I am fairly sure they are toxic if eaten?

I am going to have to put it on the front as if it is on the garden Strawbs will find it! I thought my strawberrys were safe on the patio table- turns out I was wrong!

Out onto the front with it then! I know what Strawbs is like- the whole thing would be gone if I left it anywhere near him!

Strawberry plants aren't safe?? I thought they were and have been giving my buns leaves from my alpine strawberry plant!

Strawberry plants aren't safe?? I thought they were and have been giving my buns leaves from my alpine strawberry plant!

:lol: She means 'safe' from greedy little rabbits! :D:wave:

Strawberry and wild strawberry leaves are a safe rabbit feed. :)

yes lillies are poisonous, also regarding cats if they brush past and get pollen on them and then lick there fur it can be toxic to them too

yes lillies are poisonous, also regarding cats if they brush past and get pollen on them and then lick there fur it can be toxic to them too

I don't have a cat, and it sounds nasty but I am not going to not have it out just because my neighbours do.

I have put in on the front which the bunnies dont go near and it looks lovely!

We have loads of lillies in our gardens but luckily they are in pots and Selina is never near them.

This was in a pot, and on our patio table, but Strawbs still managed to get up there!

He can also get onto his playhouse roof! Its his favourite sun bathing spot!

I don't have a cat, and it sounds nasty but I am not going to not have it out just because my neighbours do.

I do understand that you shouldn't have to change what you want to do just because of neighbours, but lilies aren't just a little bit toxic, it is highly toxic like antifreeze and they can literally drop down dead :( I was at the vets the other day when a woman came in with 3 cats, having found one dead and two extremely poorly (I don't know if they made it, they were rushed straight through and onto drips) because they had managed to get in contact with lilies.

If you're definitely going to put it at the front, please could you at least cut out the stamens to make it safer for any passing kitties.

I do understand that you shouldn't have to change what you want to do just because of neighbours, but lilies aren't just a little bit toxic and will make them poorly, it is highly toxic like antifreeze and they literally drop down dead :( If you're definitely going to put it at the front, please could you at least cut out the stamens to make it safer for any passing kitties.

I have already done that as I didnt want them to drop on my cream carpets when I carried it through the house.

Excellent, can't say I blame you - lily pollen on a cream carpet would be like dropping curry powder on it!

Random thought- if they are so toxic, how do they get pollenated by insects?

Different animals/insects find different things toxic, like Chocolate is toxic to dogs but not us, luckily :shock: Insects are so different from cats so it is not wonder they are affected by different things

Stargazer lilies are poisonous.I grow alstroemeria lilies and there stamens arent poisonous to animals

Back