• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do your bunnies freerange outside?

Do your bunnies free-range outside?

• Yes unsupervised (whilst owners are out)

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Yes semi-supervised (owner in house but not on garden)

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • Yes fully supervised (owner on garden with them)

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • No

Votes: 42 35.6%

• Total voters
I spend all my time when I'm home free ranging the buns.

The majority of time I'm either just in the utility or kitchen,or if I'm chilling sat in the conservatory.
I keep the doors open so the 3 dogs mill in and out of the garden, and I keep a close eye on the buns all the time. They all have their safe bolt holes, so they can dash back into their enclosures and sheds if they're worried.

I wouldn't do it though if I wasn't 100% happy that my garden is secure, so the buns can't get out, and cats don't come in our garden (cos of the dogs)

Mine free range when ever I am home and the weather is good. They always have their playhouse door open so they can choose to go back in and I check on them regularly.

I know other people wouldnt do it but its either this way or they dont get to come out. With having 3 singles I would have to spend all evening on the garden to give them all a run and I have to do my marking and plan lessons so I dont have the time to sit with them all night.

My garden is totally secure and next doors cats never come over. I know there is a risk, but their quality of life would be affected if I didnt let them out.

I chose semi supervised but its not true free ranging either.
My buns have a large pen beside the house directly in front of their shed.
There is loads of binky space & things of climb under/on or through.
No foxes here, very strict dog laws so no dogs around & my buns scare cats so I feel OK about their security.
We plan to move soonish so would replicate this setup elsewhere too rather than complete free ranging.

Mine free ranges in the garden whenever its possible for one of us to supervise. The garden isn't 100% secure and we know that foxes are in the area. Plus, she's just discovered my brother-in-laws beg patch. Whilst i don't mind if she helps herself, he gets really mad hehe.

To be honest though, she no longer wishes to free range in the garden unless i've shut the back door as she normally just wanders in and then although looks outside, doesn't venture back out. Even if the door is shut, she sits on the step all hopeful that she might be able to get in!

I couldn't let my two free range outside. The garden is too big to make really secure for them and I hate to think of the mischief they could get upto in it unsupervised:shock:. Smokey would make it look like the Somme!

I think in an ideal world, I would like them to free range but it's just not safe for them. They have a large, 8 feet round, run that is attached when I'm at home to their 3X6 run, so they have plenty of space.

I chose semi supervised. I would say the only time they are fully supervised is if I'm watching them and doing nothing else. If I'm on my laptop, or cleaning the hutches or in and out the house then they are not fully supervised as they only have half my attention. I would never leave them completely unsupervised tho ie - going out while they are free, if I have to go out, they have to go in first.

i had to say no, as the garden just isnt bunny proofed and as its not my house, will be investing in another pen so Biscuit will have 2x 5x2.5x2 pens for when im going to have him in the back garden for a little while each weekend if i can :)

I don't have a garden but they get to go on the balcony when I'm home. No chance of foxes on the third floor!

Generally we are outside when Bramble is free ranging, but ocassionally I do pop into the kitchen, where I can still see him from the window.

No. I am all for buns going out for supervised sessions in a pen with lid but other than that I just think there is too many risks. Particulary at my place, we have a huge garden with wayy to many places for them to hide in (plus a pool where they could no doubt get through the gate bars). There are predators - cats from neighbouring properties, snakes (although unlikely) and birds. There are heaps of plants that I am not 100% sure whether they are safe or not. Plus we have dogs who go to the toilet outside.

Personally, it isn't something I have done with the buns (at all). Buying a safe, secure pen that is big enough is expensive, and not something I have money for at the moment. They would also have to go out the front, which isn't big enough really and then there is also the added risk of people walking by - additionally the landlord doesn't even know the buns exist.

I wish mine could free range, it'd be such a great life for them. Unfortunately though I have 6 cats and 4 dogs, who are lovely, but I wouldn't trust them to all run round together. I used to let my old bunny run around a bit, supervised, and the cats liked her. But my new rabbits are small, and also the cats could easily scratch them. I have one cranky cat who scratches anyone/animal that walks be her! And rabbits have such thin skin and get infections so easily . . .

And then there are a lot of stray cats / neighbour's cats around, so I don't trust them at all. They're always in my garden, and they are very interested in the bunnies, whereas my cats just ignore them at this stage.

Also my garden isn't really secure enough, it's fine for dogs but not for bunnies.

I'm so jealous of people who can let their bunnies free range. :(

During the school holidays and weekends yes, Smudge freeranges, but if I am going out then he goes in his aviary.

I went to town today and got back and saw a lady looking down our garden, thought she was able to see Smudge through the gate - people keep looking at him, :love: BUT the gate was open and he was under our car - a few feet from the main road! AARGH! Sent him back through and shut the gate. Phew! Close call, but he does LOVE to free range.

my buns are free range during day when ever i am home and i pop inand out the garden is as secure as i can make it and has concrete around edges to stop them digging out (covered by grass) tho if determined enough there are ways out over 4ft fence that goes behind our shed etc. otherwise garden has a permimiter fence of 6ft (or whatever the standered tall ones are) and we have dog on one side and have a lady who is retired and in garden 99 % of time on other so its less likely a fox will come through however it is a risk i take. generally foxes near us are out at dawn and dusk or during early hours of morning so i limit free range time to daylight hours this minimizes the risk. i allow them there as i think the risks of predators is outwieghed by the enjoyment they have of grasing and hopping around in sucha alrge space and i truelly believe rabbits should be free however if i had seen foxes in our area about more in day then i would have to " put in run" them unless i was in garden. there are risks i accept but the dogs and neighbours mitigate against foxes some of the time. bop dont often come this way so that is a very small risk. i pop out every 10mins-30 mins and if i was popping to shops around corner and being less than 30 mins would leave out. i will get slated for this but i want them to have as much freedom as is possible. they have padlocked hutches at night. x

mine have a proper free range when I get in from work - when I first got them I would supervise totally but now I can leave them and just check every five minutes.They always have their hutch open so they could scoot in there in case of danger but they never do. it just means they get more free range time than if I have to quickly eat and do house jobs before letting them out. Not sure what i will do when its dark though - I'm hoping for floodlights or something :D

Loxxy runs freely around the garden, as did our previous two bunnies, whenever we're at home. Her hutch is just inside the garage which is set back in our garden, and she's allowed out from first thing in the morning, but this is all left accessible if she wants to go back. I also open up the conservatory so she has access to that also. We're never far away, and I tend to spend as much time as possible in the garden with her, firstly because I feel she needs the company, and secondly I can't stand being indoors listening to the kids/husband's TV programmes going all day - drives me insane! Our garden is small, its all safely fenced in, and I'd not be happy if she couldn't have free run.

Mine free range a lot. My garden's fully fenced, but big, so it takes a while to get them back in again sometimes but mostly I have no problems with them. I have to sit outside and supervise though as our resident wildie bun seems to have found his hormones and will lunge for mine if he gets half a chance. :roll:

I'm happy to leave the for a few minutes to go in and use the loo/get a drink/get a jumper etc but I wouldn't leave them unsupervised for more then five minutes.

Back