• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on nails... bun won't be picked up!

LucyB

Warren Scout
Hi,

I've got a bit of a conundrum... Russell is (I think) in need of a bit of a nail trim but he literally will not be picked up so I'm at a bit of a loss about what to do... seems to me my options are:

1) Take him to the vet and get them to do it (pricey and pointless cost!? Does anyone know roughly how much this will be?)
2) Bunny Burrito him and wear a long sleeved top ready for scratches... the problem with this is I feel we've made a bit of progress with the whole picking up thing (when I first saw him at the RSPCA he was a cuddle bun who would jump into your arms... then they started him on some medication for the 2 weeks before I got him and obviously he didn't like it as when I went to get him he couldn't stand being picked up), I feel like if I fight him on this one and make him do it he'll get all stressed out and we'll go back to square one?
3) Hang on until he needs to go to the vet for his next vaccine and ask them to do it at the same time? (He still needs VHD but the RSPCA are paying for it so they will let me know when he can go and I don't know when it will be!)

Just as a further point too... how long should they be before I attempt to trim them?! At the moment, they aren't quite visible through his fluffy feet but I can really feel them... maybe half a centimeter or something?

Humm... thought's muchly apprciated. Thanks all :) xx

Your vet will only charge around a fiver usually.

Or try your local rescue - i.e. we do bunny nail clipping for a small donation

My vets charge £9 for nail clipping.

If he has only just come to you then I would leave him a little longer to settle in first before attempting it.

Hey dont sound too long, you'll probably find they trimmed them at the RSPCA. as hes just settling in id wait a little longer, then get the vet to do it until hes more trusting of you :wave:

They dont sound too long, I'd leave it til the next suitable occasion. My vets dont charge at all for nail clipping :)

I must admit,I cheat,I get the vet to do it on the 3 times a year they go for their jabs.B would occasionally let me do her front claws but her back ones were a definate no no & Dill I must admit I have never attempted as he is not keen on human contact.Its bad enough doing his at the vets!He landed on my shoulder 3 times last time!:shock:

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Good to know I'm not being a wimp, decided I'm going to just wait and let the vet do it... glad others do too! :)

Back