• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tapeworm cyst removal

dbu13mr

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

I have a rescued lop-eared female, probably about 5 years old, (she's ruled my roost for 3 1/2 years and I doubt she was more than 18 months when I got her).

When she was in for her jabs in April the vet found a tapeworm cyst in her right shoulder, but it wasn't bothering her (I'd not even noticed it, but then again contact is very much on her terms) so he decided to leave it. However in the last four months it's grown through her her dewlap and ballooned on her left hand side. It's still not bothering her, but on the basis that it will if it continues growing like this we've decided to operate.

I was just wondering if anyone has had experience of this and if you know how hard they are to detach? Obviously, being round her dewlap there's the added problem of trachea and important blood vessals to play with, but that aside, are they generally difficult to remove?

Also, does anyone have any ideas on post-op care? The vet has said she'll have stitches which I expect, but also a two-ended drain sticking out of her. This being the lass who removed all her staples within 24 hours of being speyed, I don't hold much chance of her leaving all this alone. Any suggestions would be much welcomed.

I have arranged for a nurse to look in on her the day after the op when I'm at work (not that she's spoilt or anything!), just to check that she hasn't pulled eveything out and is bleeding to death. But would like to reduce the risk of this happening as much as possible.

Many thanks,

Maria

I dont have any experience of this, but was wondering what it felt like? I mean can you feel it under the skin?

My Inca has a lump in her tummy and the more i am hearing about these cysts, the more i am worrying!

You definitely can feel it, especially the horror that it's developed into.

It's squidgy (a bit like a rubber ball, but a bit softer), smooth on the outside except in one place where it's rough / bumpy. The original part has got smaller and harder, but the new part is very obvious when you get down to her level. (My housemate saw it when giving her an oatcake the other day and said no wonder the vet wants it out!).

If your Inca has a lump of any sort I'd get it checked out. Better to be safe than sorry! (And if it is a tapeworm I'd have it out asap. If I'd known this was what was going to happen I'd have had it out in April when it was smaller and away from anything vital).

Thanks for your reply. Will keep you posted. (I'll be the nervous wreck on Wednesday!).

M

You definitely can feel it, especially the horror that it's developed into.

It's squidgy (a bit like a rubber ball, but a bit softer), smooth on the outside except in one place where it's rough / bumpy. The original part has got smaller and harder, but the new part is very obvious when you get down to her level. (My housemate saw it when giving her an oatcake the other day and said no wonder the vet wants it out!).

If your Inca has a lump of any sort I'd get it checked out. Better to be safe than sorry! (And if it is a tapeworm I'd have it out asap. If I'd known this was what was going to happen I'd have had it out in April when it was smaller and away from anything vital).

Thanks for your reply. Will keep you posted. (I'll be the nervous wreck on Wednesday!).

M

Goodness! Good luck on wednesday.

The vet did feel Incas lump and said it felt like tissue from her spay, but i just keep feeling it! Then you read these threads and the mind starts to wander.

Back