• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Putting on weight tips/food

Janey

Warren Veteran
I was wondering if anybody can advise what food I can give to my rabbit to help her put on a bit of weight.

Since being bonded she's lost weight, she's had her teeth checked and I've been monitoring her drinking to see if that has increased but it dosn't seem to have (not dramatically anyway). As her husbun is very greedy and faster at eating I'm thinking it may be the competition that means she's not getting enough food. I've dramatically upped her pellets (excel) but it hasn't made much difference, I can't feed them seperately as she won't eat, even trying bowls next to one another dosn't work (she gets confused and hops off).

So I thought I may try giving her little treats to fatten her up but I'm not sure what to offer.

Sorry i don't really have an ideas as what i did when one of my buns needed to put on weight was up their pellets but you have already tried this.
I think i read somewhere that if you change to junior pellets these are more calorific? I know excel have a junior version.
You could try hand feeding them? I did this when Freddie and Bella were together as Freddie was extremely greedy.
For treats you could try some fruit? as an occasional treat i give mine strawberries, grapes and blueberries. If she has never had these before i would introduce these very slowly.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be around soon x

Sookie was a very slow eater & was a bit skinny. I just sat with them until she finished her meal & chopped up carrots, broccoli, mint into tiny pieces to encourage her. :)

Sorry I cant be more helpful but hopefully someone with more experience could help! :wave:

I feed Snowdrop porridge made with warm water and mashed banana to help her gain weight when needed. I would check with your vet first though.

Thank you for the advice. I think I will take her to the vets again for a check over as the last dental hasn't really helped her put on weight. Think I will also try little pieces of fruit, see if that makes a difference, I really feel she should be putting weight on though (the amount she is eating).

I would definitely want to know why she isn't putting on weight first. A blood test might be helpful.

Root vegetables are a healthy way of putting weight on a bunny :)

Back