• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Warning about wire floors

GabrielleB

Warren Scout
I havent seen any threads regarding this, so I thought I would make one with my own experience with wire floored hutches.

My rabbit Otis, may he rest in piece, got his toe caught in the wire on the bottom of his hutch, and this was the result;

P1050676.jpg

P1050675.jpg

Otisforkfoot.jpg

So a pre-warning to anyone considering getting a wire bottomed hutch, or to anyone who is using one, cover that floor now, or risk this happening to your own....

Yea it wasnt too good! He had three ops in one that day....not long after the toe thing happened, his eyelid turned in and he had to have an eye lift on one side, and he also got neutered at the same time; so amputation of a toe, an eye lift, and a castration all at once, poor bun...

ETA: Actually, in my avatar, you can see that the fur around his eye (hes the sooty fawn on the left) is all shaved back, that pic was taken not long after the op

Poor bunny :( Hope the recovery goes well.

Here in the UK not many people use the wire bottom cages as they are thought to be cruel... (mainly because they are not good for bunny feet).. could you get your bunny a cage without wire? Or put something on top of the wire like hardboard/plywood?

This happened.....20 months ago, and he died a year ago... :(

His recovery did go well, but he died under mysterious circumstances 8months later. The cage is now covered with coir mats, and currently has my female bun Domino living in there :)

Back