• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lady Lydia- Anti-Pressure Dressing For Rexy Sore Hocks

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I dont know it this will be of any use to those trying to cope with a case of chronic sore hocks.

008-11.jpg

:cry:

First I apply a dressing pad over the sore area, I use microproe tape to secure it in the middle and elastoplast strapping at the top. I am careful to only allow absolutely minimal contact of the tape/strapping and fur

005-7.jpg

Then two rolled up dressing pads are secured above and below the ulcerated area, thus taking direct pressure off it when Lydia's foot is on the floor

006-8.jpg

Next I apply a white woven bandage followed by more elastoplast strapping. Again I make sure that the adhesive strapping has little or no contact with fur. It's also important that the entire dressing is not too tight and that it does not cut into the 'bend' in the leg

009-9.jpg

Roll on winter when Lydia's coat is thicker as she also has more fur on her poor hocks.

Lyds back with Sir Victor :love:

IMG_4744.jpg

It's a shame that rexes are so prone to this problem. That looks very comfy for Lady Lydia and I'm sure it will be very useful for others.

Thank you very much for this Jane. We're keeping a close eye on madam's hocks, there's only a tiny spot at the moment but don't want it to get any bigger. Snuggles to Lady Lydia.

MODS - Perhaps it could be made a sticky? :wave:

That's really good and useful, Oscar has the beginning of sore hocks near his heels but not badly, some of his fur covers the area which helps.
His fur on his feet don't seem 'thick and fluffy'.

Would you pad his feet to prevent it going any worse or leave as it is for the fresh air?

That's really good and useful, Oscar has the beginning of sore hocks near his heels but not badly, some of his fur covers the area which helps.
His fur on his feet don't seem 'thick and fluffy'.

Would you pad his feet to prevent it going any worse or leave as it is for the fresh air?

I wouldn't use dressings/creams yet but I would look to the possible cause of the bald area. eg why is he apparently weight-baring unevenly on his hind legs? Are his toenails always clipped as short as is safely possible? Is he kept on a suitable substrate?- concrete,carpet, wood/lino covered floors are likely to exacerbate problems. Is he a healthy weight ?

Hope some of the above helps :)

Back