• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly Maddie

Lola_fudge

New Kit
Poorly Maddie
I've just had a call from my mum to say one of my bins at hers isn't very well. She lives outside in a 2 storey hutch with another bun. I popped over earlier and noticed something wasn't right, she's not a cuddly bunny and she let me pick her up and cuddle for quite a while. I let her back out to run, they have the whole garden, and she went and squished herself right into a corner. Mums just said she noticed she got back into her hitch early afternoon, went to get a closer look and noticed her front legs were splayed out. She seems to have a slight head tilt, but can look up and around. She's been bought inside, and wrapped up cause she's freezing. They also said when she's breathing it sounds like there's a clicking noise? She's just come down from having a cuddle, moved a bit, then her legs gave way again. They're keeping her on overnight but does anyone have any ideas what it could be? She's about 4, we had her from a retrieval last summer so don't know a lot about her past.

Whilst posting, had a call to say she must have also lost her sight, she's just tried to hop and crashed into the hearth? Any advice would be so good, will take to vets first thing.

It sounds like possible EC to me (e-cuniculi). I would get an emergency appointment at the vets tonight as in my experience immediate treatment is essential. I am sure someone who has more medical knowledge than me will be along soon, but when my bunny had it a steroid injection was given straight away along with pain killers to make him more comfortable.

She needs to go to a Vet TONIGHT

The symptoms you describe are those of both a middle ear infection/EC and a Respiratory Tract Infection.

This is VERY serious and I am afraid that taking her to a Vet tomorrow may well be too late :cry:

I thought it could be, her friend has just come over, she takes in loads of animals and thinks it could be a stroke? Apparently her nose isn't twitchy anymore, and her breathings not good. I don't know what survival rates of these kind of things are? It's just one thing after another at the minute!

I thought it could be, her friend has just come over, she takes in loads of animals and thinks it could be a stroke? Apparently her nose isn't twitchy anymore, and her breathings not good. I don't know what survival rates of these kind of things are? It's just one thing after another at the minute!

My bun showed symptoms of a stroke - loss of use of rear legs and blindness and was diagnosed with EC, but as Jane said there are other possibilities too. Please take her to the vets tonight as she will be in pain and uncomfortable whatever the diagnosis.:(

Do you have a normal vet? Usually if you call them there will be recorded message with a telephone number for an out of hours service.

She won't take her to the vets tonight, they've brought her inside, put a warm pad in with her and made her as comfortable as the can. I have metacam here for my other bun with 2 broken legs, do you think it would be worth trying to get some to her tonight?

She won't take her to the vets tonight, they've brought her inside, put a warm pad in with her and made her as comfortable as the can. I have metacam here for my other bun with 2 broken legs, do you think it would be worth trying to get some to her tonight?

You cannot administer oral medication to such a sick Rabbit. She would almost certainly choke on it.

Why wont your Mother get her to a Vet tonight :? I am sorry, but I find that very hard to understand. If you can get over there to take the Metacam then cant you go over to collect your Rabbit and get her to a Vet

St George's have an out-of-hours service

http://www.any-uk-vet.co.uk/st-georges/index.htm

Ive just had the phone call to say she has just passed. They had spoken to the vet who said to cuddle her in a towel and to see if she would eat.
apparently she had a fit and then went peacefully.I just can't believe it... Thank you for all your advice xxx

Ive just had the phone call to say she has just passed. They had spoken to the vet who said to cuddle her in a towel and to see if she would eat.
apparently she had a fit and then went peacefully.I just can't believe it... Thank you for all your advice xxx

Poor Bunny :cry:

Back