• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do some breeds of bun have shorter lives than others?

Candiflare

Mama Doe
For some reason I'm under the impression that nethies live longer and giants and french lops have shorter lives. I don't know where I got it from -- is this true?

I've heard that about giants too, i think maybe they're prone to heart problems? According to pets at home (not that i would take their word to be expert by any means) the signs for the giants they sell say the average lifespan is 3 to 4 yrs.

Giant breeds have shorter lifespans due to various factors, including I beleive the added strain on their heart, and the fact that they get joint problems like arthritis cos of the extra weight :(

I think it's the case with many animals that large breeds don't live as long as smaller breeds. It's my understanding as well that the average lifespan of a giant rabbit is only 3-4 years, whilst for smaller rabbits it's about 7. It's also the case (or so I've been told) that house rabbits live an average of a couple of extra years, I imagine this is because it's easier to spot if your house bunny is ill, rather than outside where you wouldn't spend as much time with it / them.

Adonia has had snuffles since i got her from pah. She is about 4 or 5 now, can't remember which- I reckon so- but that's just a guess.

Back