• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flystrike - for info ...

chloaster

Warren Veteran
I have been really lucky so far and not had to deal with flystrike so didn't really know what I was looking for. Today I found out - Lenny, one of my beatles, is not very well and I noticed he was a bit squidgy so had been checking him regularly - I left him for three hours and came back to this - for anyone wondering what they are looking for ....

DSC_0214-1.jpg

Goodness. I hope he is ok.
I've often wondered what to look for as such...I;ve just been going on everything being 'normal'

Aaaaaaaargh :shock:

Thanks for posting this, I put up a thread a while ago asking for such a photo but didn't find any this clear.

Maybe this should be made sticky or added to the reference section so everyone knows what to look for :wave:

Aw no - poor Lenny! Hope he will be ok and *thank you* for posting this.

There seem to be more flies than ever this year - I bought a Red Top fly trap which are supposed to last for three months - mine is almost full after two weeks!! :shock:

Sending tons and tons of vibes for Lenny - it's a good job he has a vigilant mummy.

Thanks for this. Snowdrop is white- how difficult do you think they would be to spot on her?

Pretty difficult to be honest :(. The eggs really are like tiny grains of rice. It's a bit of a gross experiment, but if the weather gets hot again you could leave a piece of meat or something outside - they'll be eggs on it in no time.

xxx

It can be awful condition if not caught in time, thank goodness you are vigiliant, I hope lenny will be o.k

For white buns we were told to use a tiny bit of sellotape wrapped around your finger sticky side up, gently dab it on the rabbits bum/genital area and any eggs present will stick to it

It can be awful condition if not caught in time, thank goodness you are vigiliant, I hope lenny will be o.k

For white buns we were told to use a tiny bit of sellotape wrapped around your finger sticky side up, gently dab it on the rabbits bum/genital area and any eggs present will stick to it

Thanks Lynne, will try this! Luckily both Strawbs and Snow keep themselves quite clean (Strawbs especially, he is such a pretty boy!) and we dont seem to get many flies but I have all the mesh covered in netting to stop them getting in during the day when im working and I have citronella everywhere which seems to keep them away.

Thanks for posting this. I do hope Lenny is OK. I've been obsessively checking my lot it helps when you know what it looks like.

Thank goodness you spotted it in time. Doesn't bear thinking about what might have happened.
I hope he feels better soon xx

:shock: I've never seen eggs so that's useful, so is that under Lenny's tail? :wave:
Glad you caught it early and wish Lenny a speedy recovery.

Ooh I'm glad I read this. I had this question also as three of my four buns have white fur round that area and Nutmeg has a white tummy.

Back