• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ill rabbit, feel bad.

quackers

New Kit
Having a hard time with Myxomatosis at the moment.

Originally bought my first 2 bunnys in March this year, one died suddenly in the night after 3 days of having them. The other one i got straght to the Vets the next day for a checkup and injections and she is still with me and very healthy. Because i was going to be moving home, i thought i would leave getting her any friend(s) until i had moved.

Finally got settled in new place 2 weeks ago, bought another large cage, went to the pet shop and they had just 3 females left, and all seemed very attached to each other. 1 Was a loverly floppy dwarf rabbit which a fell in love with straght away, a cute tiny little black/grey rabbit and another white/ginger one. I came wanting 2, but could not bare to split them up, since the pet shop man said most of that delivery had died due to stress and this was what had survived.

After the experience of my first 2 rabbits, i got them booked in the Vets 2 days later for first injections. My favorate one, the fluffy floppy dwarf one could not have the myxomatosis vacination because it did not seem well enough and the Vet did not want to stress the emune system too much. He gave her some other injection the other 2 got the myxomatosis injection. That did not seem to help the fluffy dwarf rabbit much and her eyes started to become all gunged up with puss, so took her back to the Vets and he tried one more injection, again i am not sure what, gave me some eye drops and some fluid to feed her using a suringe type thing.

So bought her a seperate cage and kept her indoors as she was also weesing, and coughing and sniffling. Spent all this week softly getting the puss out of her eye with a very damp cloth everyday, feeding her this liquid, and basically getting very attached to my favorite bunny. One eye started to become very closed, and i could not get it to open, so phoned vets again to get her in yesterday.

Went in to see the Vets, the Vet looked at her and foced her eye lid to open, and instantly started crying, i have never heard a rabbit scream before, and this one screamed so loudly and for a good 10-20 seconds, she wet her self, it really distressed me to see her in so much pain, infact it still haunts me now. The Vet said its myxomatosis and the best thing is to put her down. After a few minutes i agreed and stayed with her until the end, crying the whole time at losing my favorite bunny.

Now i just feel so guilty, i only had her just under 2 weeks and she spent half of that alone, seperated from her 2 friends, in pain, and having to put up with me forcing eye drops etc on to her, only for her final moments to have extream pain, then death.

Now i got up this morning to find the little black one has the same symptoms as the fluffy white one had this time last week, pussed up, gunged eyes, breathing through its mouth and coughing/sneezing. I am going to have to phone the Vets tommorrow, but the thought of going through this whole putting it the rabbit to sleep again is too much, its heart wrenching.

I am gussing that most of this delivery of rabbits did not die of stress as the pet shop said but of myxomatosis, and at the time it was believed these 3 were clear and not showing symptoms.

My question i suppose is, because the black/grey one had the vacination for Myxomatosis about a week and a half ago, does it stand a better chance of surviving??

Having a hard time with Myxomatosis at the moment.

Originally bought my first 2 bunnys in March this year, one died suddenly in the night after 3 days of having them. The other one i got straght to the Vets the next day for a checkup and injections and she is still with me and very healthy. Because i was going to be moving home, i thought i would leave getting her any friend(s) until i had moved.

Finally got settled in new place 2 weeks ago, bought another large cage, went to the pet shop and they had just 3 females left, and all seemed very attached to each other. 1 Was a loverly floppy dwarf rabbit which a fell in love with straght away, a cute tiny little black/grey rabbit and another white/ginger one. I came wanting 2, but could not bare to split them up, since the pet shop man said most of that delivery had died due to stress and this was what had survived.

After the experience of my first 2 rabbits, i got them booked in the Vets 2 days later for first injections. My favorate one, the fluffy floppy dwarf one could not have the myxomatosis vacination because it did not seem well enough and the Vet did not want to stress the emune system too much. He gave her some other injection the other 2 got the myxomatosis injection. That did not seem to help the fluffy dwarf rabbit much and her eyes started to become all gunged up with puss, so took her back to the Vets and he tried one more injection, again i am not sure what, gave me some eye drops and some fluid to feed her using a suringe type thing.

So bought her a seperate cage and kept her indoors as she was also weesing, and coughing and sniffling. Spent all this week softly getting the puss out of her eye with a very damp cloth everyday, feeding her this liquid, and basically getting very attached to my favorite bunny. One eye started to become very closed, and i could not get it to open, so phoned vets again to get her in yesterday.

Went in to see the Vets, the Vet looked at her and foced her eye lid to open, and instantly started crying, i have never heard a rabbit scream before, and this one screamed so loudly and for a good 10-20 seconds, she wet her self, it really distressed me to see her in so much pain, infact it still haunts me now. The Vet said its myxomatosis and the best thing is to put her down. After a few minutes i agreed and stayed with her until the end, crying the whole time at losing my favorite bunny.

Now i just feel so guilty, i only had her just under 2 weeks and she spent half of that alone, seperated from her 2 friends, in pain, and having to put up with me forcing eye drops etc on to her, only for her final moments to have extream pain, then death.

Now i got up this morning to find the little black one has the same symptoms as the fluffy white one had this time last week, pussed up, gunged eyes, breathing through its mouth and coughing/sneezing. I am going to have to phone the Vets tommorrow, but the thought of going through this whole putting it the rabbit to sleep again is too much, its heart wrenching.

I am gussing that most of this delivery of rabbits did not die of stress as the pet shop said but of myxomatosis, and at the time it was believed these 3 were clear and not showing symptoms.

My question i suppose is, because the black/grey one had the vacination for Myxomatosis about a week and a half ago, does it stand a better chance of surviving??

Yes.

Does h/she have any symptoms ?

I would report the Petshop to your local Council Enviromental Health Department. It is the Council who issue the License to enable the shop to sel Livestock and it is absolutely ESSENTIAL that the Council are made aware of what has transpired.

The Rabbit who is now very ill too needs Veterinary attention TONIGHT.
If h/she is mouth breathing h/she cannot be left until the morning. Please, please get this Rabbit to a Vet tonight.

Yes.

Does h/she have any symptoms ?

I would report the Petshop to your local Council Enviromental Health Department. It is the Council who issue the License to enable the shop to sel Livestock and it is absolutely ESSENTIAL that the Council are made aware of what has transpired.

The Rabbit who is now very ill too needs Veterinary attention TONIGHT.
If h/she is mouth breathing h/she cannot be left until the morning. Please, please get this Rabbit to a Vet tonight.

I agree with this. Your rabbit sounds like he/she is in severe discomfort and needs medical attention ASAP.

I wish you the best of luck. x

I agree that you need to see a vet tonight. The good news is that the myxomatosis vaccination can't prevent myxomatosis, but it means that it might not be fatal.

I really feel for you :( this isn't your fault, I would also report it to the local council's environmental health.

:cry: oh im so sorry what a tragic situation, is there anyway you can get him for medical help now? he sounds in discomfort, im so sorry. xxx

What a horrendous situation for you to find yourself in. :cry: Please take Jane's advice and find an emergency vet to take your bun to. There's a chance that with intensive treatment you might save this bun and the vet can also check your other one for any early signs. Are they both seperated now? Is your original bun seperate from the two remaining new ones and is she myxi vac'd? You need to isolate the ill bun straight away. Also might be a good idea to check them all for fleas in case that is what is passing it around.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys, i am going to try and find an emergency Vet now on the internet, Sunday evening is not the best time :( Yes they are seperated now, as the 3rd rabbit does not have any of the symptoms yet.

I can't add too anything else that been said here as what I think has been said, I just wanted to say I'm sorry you had to face this tradegy and hope the other bunny is clear :(

If you call your vet, there should be a recorded message telling you who to contact for emergency treatment. My last two vets have had this x

Kestrels/hawks ?

Over the past few days I've noticed some type of hawk circling our area.
Apart from being an unusual I think place to see then (I live in a built up area of mainly terraced streets nowhere nearby has actual gardens ...just yards it's hardly green)
I'm worried now about the rabbit free ranging in the garden (all I do is worry about the bloody thing and it's not even mine! :roll::lol:)
Has anyone heard of hawks taking pet rabbits in a suburban situation ....a neighbour in a previous area once had a sparrow hawk kill their budgie (she'd put it in the garden in it's cage for some sun and air ) the hawk swooped ..knocked over the cage and took the bird :shock:)

:?

Over the past few days I've noticed some type of hawk circling our area.
Apart from being an unusual I think place to see then (I live in a built up area of mainly terraced streets nowhere nearby has actual gardens ...just yards it's hardly green)
I'm worried now about the rabbit free ranging in the garden (all I do is worry about the bloody thing and it's not even mine! :roll::lol:)
Has anyone heard of hawks taking pet rabbits in a suburban situation ....a neighbour in a previous area once had a sparrow hawk kill their budgie (she'd put it in the garden in it's cage for some sun and air ) the hawk swooped ..knocked over the cage and took the bird :shock:)

:?

Yes im sure it would kill a bunny:? xxx

So sorry sweetie,

That's dreadful you had to go through that. I went through mixi with one of my buns, it is so terribly heartbreaking.

I would definately get your bunny to the vets. Mxyi kills very very quickly.

Your vet may be able to give something to ease the pain if there is a good chance of survival, if not putting the other to sleep would be best. It's a tremendously painful thing for a bunny to suffer.

My heart goes out to you having to go through all this xx
Lots of vibes ********
Love Ambience xx

Back