• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I feel awful :(

Rachie

Mama Doe
I went out to buy a couple of bales of hay today. On my way home I noticed, what I thought to be, a domestic bunny by the side of the road (actually on the road but right by the kerb). I pulled over thinking it might be injured or even dead but I didn't want to assume and leave if I could have helped it

Anyhoo, by the time I got to it, it had managed to get itself back onto the grass verge. Its eyes were sealed shut and it was kind of coughing and wheezing :( I can only assume it had myxi and it didn't really seem to be aware of me being there :(

I stood next to it for ages trying to work out what I should do and probably foolishly trying to keep it away from the road. I tried to ring a couple of people for advice and it eventually hopped off into the hedgerows.

I just feel awful and guilty knowing that it was really suffering and I couldn't do anything about it :( One of my friends who I managed to get hold of said the kindest thing to do would have been to kill it but I wouldn't have ever been able to bring myself to do it :(

No real point to this thread, just needed to write it down I guess

Very sad, but there are lots of myxi buns around, I've seen a few myself. I don't think there's much you could have done, tbh.

That's very sad, I'd have reacted same as you. Hope you feel a bit better for writing it down - at least it highlights the need to vaccinate bunnies.

Your friend is right, it would of been better to kill it but like you I would have never been able to bring myself to do it. Its a hard world sometimes. Try not to feel too bad, give yourself & your bunnies a cuddle. :(

That is really sad, chances are it will have slumped off and died peacefully in the hedgerow. If you cant bring yourself to kill it (and I know I couldn't) you can take it to a vet who has a legal obligation to treat it under the wildlife act without any cost to the person taking it in. I've taken a few myxi buns that have been sat in the middle of a road to our vets for euthanaisa, save them the awful death of being struck by a car or eaten alive by a fox etc.
So sorry you had to witness this :(

That is really sad, chances are it will have slumped off and died peacefully in the hedgerow. If you cant bring yourself to kill it (and I know I couldn't) you can take it to a vet who has a legal obligation to treat it under the wildlife act without any cost to the person taking it in. I've taken a few myxi buns that have been sat in the middle of a road to our vets for euthanaisa, save them the awful death of being struck by a car or eaten alive by a fox etc.

Im so sorry :( As Lynne has said, if anyone is ever in a similar situation, you can take any wildlife to the vets and they have to treat them for free. of course, if its a bunnyw ith myxi, you'd need to change/wash before you got home to your own buns.

Im sure you did the right thing hun (hugs) xx

Thats good to know, in case I come across this in future. I was concerned about picking it up and causing it more stress by putting it in my car too.

I'm crying again thinking about it :( It's just so awful.

Sorry you had to see this :(

We get a lot of myxi buns round our way and i always think I should kill them or take them to a vet but i'm terrified or spreading it to my own rabbits so I always wuss out :(

The fact that you cared at all shows you're more compassionate than most xx

Back