• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question for you all re accommondation

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Just interested to know:

How big is your buns' permanent accommodation?

How many buns do you have living in it?

How much time do they get outside of that? I.e. either in the house running around or in the garden free ranging.

Mine have an 8ft by 4ft kennel with split levels, I've got two living in there, and they have around 4 to 5 hours of free range time in the house. :D

Frankie and Kassy have 7 x 5 playhouse with an attached 5 x 4 run.

Merlin and Wesley have a 48 inch dog crate and a pen which is about 5 x 8 and Honey has half my bedroom. Ideally they would all be bonded together to get more space.

My foster bun has a 6 x 2 x 2 hutch and 6 x 4 x 2 run underneath.

On a nice day they will get to go out in the garden. Weekends usually a few hours, evening about an hour.

Last edited:
my three have an 8x6 shed with a roughly 8x7 run. They get some free ranging time but not loads and it's not regular.

Starbuck has a 20ft lounge to himself, and the rest of the downstairs when we are home though he rarely goes out of here.

Fay and Kenco have a newly built split level 8 x 4 kennel/aviary thing, we let them free-range once but Fay hid in a hole we hadnt bargained for so for now they just go out in a puppy pen. But we are planning on building a permanent aviary style run on the front that will be at least 8x4 too.

Then Twinkle and Star have a 7x4 shed, with an attached 8x4 run, they get free-range time too.

I have a 5 foot 2 story hutch for one bunny. It hasn't worked out as well as I'd hoped, because Spenser hasn't mastered the stairs.:( At the moment he spends several hours a day in his run (a large octagonal pen). If I could turn the clock back I would probably have gone for a shed arrangement. Hopefully he'll use the stairs before winter comes in!

Have you tried taking out the stairs? Mine didn't get on with the ramp but can easily jump up to a platform I installed now. I'd think your bun could do the same to the second storey? Maybe give it a try! :D

Have you tried taking out the stairs? Mine didn't get on with the ramp but can easily jump up to a platform I installed now. I'd think your bun could do the same to the second storey? Maybe give it a try! :D

I took the stairs out and replaced the trapdoor for his safety! :( I have been thinking about alternatives.:? Got some good ideas from 'housing' section. :):) It's a bit of a worry because he's not exactly a small rabbit.

I have a 6x4 shed with an attached 6x4 run for two buns. They get free range in the garden and house between 4 and 9 hours a day.

Ginger an Pickles live in an 8ft x 6ft shed, with an 8ft x 6ft run attached. They have a seperate 8ft x 19ft run I put them in for playtime, in nice weather.

Last winter they were house rabbits, which I expect will be the case again this year. Then they live in my bedroom which is probably about 13ft x 13ft, with playtimes on the landing/stairs/hall and in the large kitchen. Unfortunately when they're indoors they're confined to their cage while I'm at work (about 5 hours a day, 3 days a week) although the rest of the the time they can free range.

locked up the cage is just under 8ft x 4ft and they are in from 8am - 6pm daily

evening time 6pm-11pm they have the total run of a two up two down house

11pm - 8am they have the run of the two bedrooms and stair area, no access to downstairs as i shut the door when i go to bed.

not sure which is classed as permanent because the time is pretty evenly split up :oops:

Permanent accommodation is a 4x4ft full height shed (with 4ft x 18" shelf) attached to a full height 9ft x 5ft aviary as seen in my recent pics (( Here )) - then they also have 3 - 4 hours a day supervised free-ranging round the bunny-proofed yard. Some days they may have a little less but as John is now retired they get tons of free-range time which they love. xx

Strawberry- Playhouse 4ft x 4ft with attached 8ft by 4ft run accessed by a catflap. At least 1 hour free range in the evening, more if im off work.

Snowdrop- Playhouse 6ft x 4ft with a small hutch inside to snuggle in and a second level added. At least 3 hours free range in the evening, more if im off work.

Bungle- free range in our kitchen. Roughly half an hour free ange outside in an evening for some fresh air but only in summer.

They have my room, which is approx 8 by 8 and then during the day (in time, need to go slow at the moment) they will have the landing which is about 10 x 3 and the spare room which is about 7 by 6.

Thanks for you input everyone. I though 8ft by 4ft permanent accommodation would be large enough but I'm now thinking to add an aviary extension for another 5ft by 6 ft. :D

I have a 6ft double storey hutch for 2 buns (a true nethie & a nethie cross). Weather permitting they have supervised garden time (roughly 1 -2 hours per day). During the day their hutch is left open and they free range on the patio (roughy 12ft by 6ft) till about 10pm - unless we go out, then they are locked in the hutch. Like others, if we had done our research beforehand, then I think we would have preferred a playhouse. Saying that, the hutch is a big one! :)

coco and kitty have a 6x6ft run attatched to a 6x2x2 hutch which is thiers though currently they are in dora and arthurs hutch,
dora and arthur havea 6x3x3 hutch which has an 8x6ft area fenced off this is only open to them during day they are shut in at night but so are coco and kitty. they have free range time for around 6 hours daily though on average sometimes more. currently d &a are indoors due to doras ligament problems and have permenant free range time tho dora wont leave the kitchen.

They permanently get a 6ft x 2ft pen (or home base) plus the run of the rest of my room which is 6ft x 8ft. In total that is 12ft x 10ft of space for 2 buns.

Back