• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Castration question

Wizbit

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone

Oscar was castrated on Friday. He seems fine in himself, is eating, drinking, weeing and pooing. His wounds look clean but one of his little boy bits looks to be quite purple but the other one looks ok. What is normal? Oscar is 3 or 4 years old and I have only ever had boys castrated when they are babies so not used to the testicles being there!

Thanks for any help.

Hi everyone

Oscar was castrated on Friday. He seems fine in himself, is eating, drinking, weeing and pooing. His wounds look clean but one of his little boy bits looks to be quite purple but the other one looks ok. What is normal? Oscar is 3 or 4 years old and I have only ever had boys castrated when they are babies so not used to the testicles being there!

Thanks for any help.

Exactly the same as when Biscuit was neutered. Once both testicles had been removed, the left 'sack' stayed a little swollen in comparison to the other one. On his post-op check i asked the vet to check and he said that basically it was a haematoma (sp?) which is where a little blood had got into the space after the operation and had then dried up, so it looked very sore!

After about 3 weeks, it was totally not noticeable and the vet said it was actually quite common, i'd trust my vet with my buns life also, he's awesome.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

Hiya

Thank you so much for that GrahamL, I have been worrying myself about it so that is good to know. He does seem fine in himself but it just looks really tender bless him. I will keep an eye on how things go. Incidentally, they gave him a dental while he was under and apparently they were quite bad - he has started to occassionally eat little tiny bits of hay so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the link Lobo but I am not sure I have a strong enough stomach!

Hiya

Thank you so much for that GrahamL, I have been worrying myself about it so that is good to know. He does seem fine in himself but it just looks really tender bless him. I will keep an eye on how things go. Incidentally, they gave him a dental while he was under and apparently they were quite bad - he has started to occassionally eat little tiny bits of hay so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the link Lobo but I am not sure I have a strong enough stomach!

no worries, your welcome. I love how everyone re-assures everyone else here, makes my life so much easier to live with as i worry about every little thing!

Glad he's getting better now, Biscuit wouldn't hop much until ~1 week after the op as it was too sore moving his legs as it stretched the skin around that area. He was 100% after 3 weeks.

RU is great as someone has usually had the same experience and can help.

Oscar is having a check up at the vets tonight, so keep everything crossed that it is just bruising and nothing horrible..... He's been quite bright and has been trotting around the kitchen fine so hopefully he's fine.

Thanks again for replying.

RU is great as someone has usually had the same experience and can help.

Oscar is having a check up at the vets tonight, so keep everything crossed that it is just bruising and nothing horrible..... He's been quite bright and has been trotting around the kitchen fine so hopefully he's fine.

Thanks again for replying.

Again, very welcome.

Glad he seems a lot better now :)

I agree with the bit about someone having the same experience, i was so paranoid about everything, but now that i've read and spoken to some awesome people here, i dont feel quite so bad. I still get psychotic over him sometimes and i've just reserved a 2nd bun, so wait for the crazy posts from me about them both soon enough :lol:

:lol: most of the time I am neurotic about mine too so don't worry about that!!

Just taken Oscar to the vet and she has said that his 'boy bit' is fine that it was just a bit of a bleed internally which is a massive relief.

Back