• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

winter prep

LilyBot

Young Bun
my hutch doesnt have a cover or anything, should i get/make something to protect my bunnies from the cold/wind/rain/snow/etc for when winter comes?
and what other ways can i keep my buns warm?

Oooh I'm glad you asked this, I was just about to post asking what the best ways are to winter-proof your bunnies.

I wondered whether putting perspex over the mesh of the doors would be an option ... but I'm worried about the issue of fresh air.

I wondered whether putting perspex over the mesh of the doors would be an option ... but I'm worried about the issue of fresh air.

thats a good idea to cover the mesh. especially since i was thinking of putting something across the front to stop all the sawdust being kicked out of the hutch :roll: :) i might try covering the bottom third of the hutch doors, that way they still get fresh air :)

Snap....Was going to ask this too :D I started my winter prep today so I am ready just in case it starts to get chilly!

Currently Pip has a bare wood floor on the second level, with a tile of carpet each end (although she seldom lays on them). She has a bit litter tray full of hay upstairs, plus a carpet tile with a fleecy blanket on top to snuggle into.

I really do worry even now, at night whether she is warm enough - but she never feels cold & seems to prefer the wooden floors to lay on :roll:

I have cut 2 x big 6 x 2 sheets of carpet that snugly fit her second floor, so when the winter comes i can line the floor with carpet. I also plan to make a perspex 1/2 way barrier around the whole of the bottom floor....I will only perspex about 1/2 way up, so it will allow the air to flow through still but ensure there are no draughts if she (& her new boyfriend we hope to get soon!) want to relax n snuggle down there....Probably stuff a nice box with lots & lots of hay to snuggle in downstairs too..

Her top level will be lined with carpet & then vet bed, as well as fleecy blankets & a snuggle safe or two....However I am thinking of completely covering the top mesh door with perspex to that upstairs stays really cosy...Just hope she will have enough airflow?!

Currently have a normal basic hutch cover, but am going to order a nice insulating one before winter comes too - which will double up great come the summer too, as it does the reverse (keeps it cool).

I am sure I will still worry they are cold tho!:roll:

Back