• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Disappointed with Garden Centre

CazScho

Mama Doe
One of our local garden centres (close to Bracknell) has always been very good, they don't stock animals and have always had a really good range of animal products.

We went today to pick up some Oxbow Bunny Basics T and I was horrified to see an array of small hutches out the front. They were almost all about 3-4 ft wide (4ft being generous), some with a tiny run under, some a double decker - but with no ramp to get from top to bottom, so obviously a three foot home for some poor creature. They had a small metal tag on the front reading Rabbit Shack, so not for piggies.

I spoke to the lady inside very politely and said I was a bit concerned about the small sizes as the RSPCA minimum guidelines was 6ft by 2ft. She told me she volunteered at a rescue and that they rehomed animals to those hutches provided they were in a larger enclosure. I wish I'd asked which one now, but I wasn't thinking very clearly and was just trying to be polite and constructive. She basically told me that pet owners should be educated at the point of purchase to buy something else with those hutches but didn't seem to grasp the point that by selling them that they were giving the message that that kind of accommodation was okay just by having them on sale.

It turns out the original garden centre has gone bust and has been taken over by a larger company, hence the change in attitude. I'm so so disappointed :(:( I'm pretty sure they'll be stocking animals next as they've redone the whole pet place - and stopped stocking the Bunny Basics T at the same time.

Is this Moss End? I noticed their small pet section has gotten considerably smaller since they've moved it all around, and was quite upset about the lack of Oxbow stuff, as well as disgusted at the small hutches. I didn't know it had been taken over though and I really hope they don't start selling animals. There will only be Longacres left at this rate!!

xxx

That's very upsetting Caroline. I'm guessing the rescue will be Diana Brimblecombe then in Wokingham, being a general rescue rather than rabbit specific, I'm not sure that they are as knowledgeable as they could be for buns.

How awful, taking a step backwards, when we thought that we were making some progress in rabbit welfare land. Shant be spending my money there again then.

Is this Moss End? I noticed their small pet section has gotten considerably smaller since they've moved it all around, and was quite upset about the lack of Oxbow stuff, as well as disgusted at the small hutches. I didn't know it had been taken over though and I really hope they don't start selling animals. There will only be Longacres left at this rate!!

xxx

Yes and Longacres sell awful hutches too with some undesireable small animal treats. Methinks we need to educate!

It is yes, although the pet section is huge now, when you walked in it was on the right, now it stretches both left and right. I used to specifically drive over and shop there to support them but no more!

I guess it probably would be Diana Brimblecombe, I couldn't at that moment think of any locally but that makes sense.

Have just put in £60 order with Hay Experts instead which has made me feel a little bit better as I know that is worth supporting!!!

It is yes, although the pet section is huge now, when you walked in it was on the right, now it stretches both left and right. I used to specifically drive over and shop there to support them but no more!

I guess it probably would be Diana Brimblecombe, I couldn't at that moment think of any locally but that makes sense.

Have just put in £60 order with Hay Experts instead which has made me feel a little bit better as I know that is worth supporting!!!

Yes, I used to go now and again too as I knew that they had half decent stuff in, and used to send people over there in preference to Notcutts etc, but might have to revise my ideas. Will maybe have to go and be nosey to see what it's like now.

I know that there was one lady who worked at Moss End who volunteered at DBARC and who seemed very clued up, but from what I know of their admittance policy, bonding, policy rehoming before neutering and the lack of physical homechecking, I fear that they aren't so good. I have rehomed to someone who was given duff advice from DBARC and also know firsthand of someone who was told to vaccinate their rabbit before DBARC would take them in.

Oh no :(

Can you send them a letter (or many) with links to the RSPCA/RWF etc?

I hate it when businesses become part of a chain..... it makes everything impersonal.... :cry:

I know this is an aside but I keep seeing similar items outside a retailer near my work - it looks like it is a national chain

Jolly's Pet Supplies or something like that?

The hutches and runs are tiny yet they are out the front of the shop so people always stop and look at them and because they are of unusual design people think they are great :(

I know this is an aside but I keep seeing similar items outside a retailer near my work - it looks like it is a national chain

Jolly's Pet Supplies or something like that?

The hutches and runs are tiny yet they are out the front of the shop so people always stop and look at them and because they are of unusual design people think they are great :(

How awful, can we send info to their main office then?

Wyevales stopped selling animals after Animal Aid pressured the main shareholder, Tom Hunter.

Always worth voicing your opinions as it may just have the desired effect.

Yeah, but Wyevale now has Pets Corner branches in their stores (I don't know if all Wyevale's do, but 2 near here do), and although they don't sell animals in their Wyevale stores, they do in their own stores :?

xxx

Oh dear, that is extremely disappointing.

We, too, were a fan of Moss End and the manager there even donated loads of stuff for our event this year - she seemed very keen to improve things but I guess her hands might be a bit tied now if they have been taken over by a corporate chain :(

Yes and Longacres sell awful hutches too with some undesireable small animal treats. Methinks we need to educate!

I went to Longacres yesterday and they had one of those chicken coops just outside the door to the outside areas which was hardly big enough for a pair of guineapigs let alone rabbits.

Sounds like education is definately the route to go forward.

Yeah, but Wyevale now has Pets Corner branches in their stores (I don't know if all Wyevale's do, but 2 near here do), and although they don't sell animals in their Wyevale stores, they do in their own stores :?

xxx

I didn't realise Pets Corner sold animals :?

I will contact Tom to find out why they have now allowed Pets Corner to operate in Wyevales.

The two Pets Corners within my local Wyevales no longer sell animals but while on a day out last week I popped into a Pets Corner store in between Brighton and Worthing and they were selling animals.:cry:

I didn't realise Pets Corner sold animals :?

I will contact Tom to find out why they have now allowed Pets Corner to operate in Wyevales.

Yeah, I didn't know until i picked up one of their advice leaflets and it mentioned their star breeders or something

xxx

One of our local Garden Centres is now a Notcutts store and they sell these awful hutches and chicken coop things too. I emailed them to complain (together with a complaint about a mum being on the shop floor whilst suckling baby rabbits!!) but basically got a rather snotty 'appreciate your concerns but we care blah blah blah' - they still sell the awful prisons. They couldn't have been more than 12" high if that. :cry:

My local Wyevale stopped selling animals some time ago. I like going in there as the staff seem knowledgeable and I have had some really good conversations about my buns and cats - and some free small bags of SS as I buy so much there.

Last time I went in there the assistant told me they were going to start selling animals again. I expressed my concern because of the sizes of their homes last time. She said the staff weren't happy either and were going to let the buns run around in the staff part out the back every day so they didn't have to remain in their hutches. Apparently the new set up will be much larger than the last one. I said I would wait and see and would let them know if I had concerns!

I think they are arriving over the August Bank Holiday so I will have a look and if I don't think the buns are being kept properly write and say how I feel and why. I spend a fair bit in there with eight cats and seven buns and all the Pet Corner staff know me. Apparently they are stocking animals again because the 'public' have expressed disappointment they weren't doing so.

I felt a bit sorry for the assistant as she clearly wasn't happy about the decision and I can tell she loves her own buns and treats them well from the conversations we have had.

All the pet shops locally will then sell animals :cry:

Shopping on-line is difficult as I work long hours and am never in to accept a delivery.

My local Pets Corner don't sell animals (I think thats my local Wyevale as well). I don't even remember seeing hutches :? :? there is a pet shop in Farnborough (Katz Pets) which is disgusting! The hutches are probably just under 3ft - maybe even 2 and a half!!! I took pictures and tried to report it to the council about a month ago and they said they'd phone me back but never did. I'm thinking bout doing a full report for the RSPCA.

Back