• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering 2 males??

cyprusrabbit

Alpha Buck
Hello

I have just purchased 2 male lionhead brothers. they are 12 weeks old.

I was wondering when to neuter them? is there are better time/age?

Thanks, hoping to take them to the vets this week, so vet can look, I also wanna make sure they are boys! I bought 2 I dont want more!! :oops:

Do you know how the neutering is done? is it like a male cat?

And.....

When they have been done - what do I do with them? can they go back together??

Is it better to wait till they are 6 months? This is what a vet advised me. My two 3 month boys are seperate at the moment because one rabbit is ''over affectionate'' :oops:

We have 2 males who were litter mates. Unfortunately, as they reach maturity they start being 'overly affectionate' ie. humping, spraying urine all over, and being aggressive. Ours started fighting and had to be separated They were then neutered asap - they were about 4/5 months. Two hormonal rabbits can really injure each other so may be a good idea to keep them separated. Our did rebond easily after the neuter though.

I guess if your vet is unwilling to neuter until 6 months you will have to wait. Alternatively, if you say where you are people will post the name of good rabbit vets.

we had flopsy and toto done at around 4 months testicles had not dropped but vet was not concerned by this they had started humping at thsi point so as they loved each other so much i got it done asap as didnt want to break the bond they went to vets in same carrier were picked up same day and kept together in dog crate in house overnight so i could make sure they were pooping/weeing, drinking/eating ok they were fine next day put them back in hutch but closed off run as didnt want them hurting themselves for next 24 hours running up ramp they were fine thereafter no humping and still as affectionate as ever - dont worry, if they have great bond now and you get them checked at vets asap keep them together if you can let us know how you go on good luck (we thought our two were girls by the way so had shock they were boys but glad as operation is less evasive i am told) their wounds were glued so no stitches to mess with for ours

:wave:

Thanks for all your comments..

I have been to the vets - they are 100% boys which is good :D.

The vet will hopefully neuter them 3/4 months - will do them together and never seperate them :D

Thanks for all your comments..

I have been to the vets - they are 100% boys which is good :D.

The vet will hopefully neuter them 3/4 months - will do them together and never seperate them :D

Excellent vet :D All you need to make sure of now is that they get adequate pain relief post-op and that you keep them indoors if they are usually outside the day they come home from the vet.

Excellent vet :D All you need to make sure of now is that they get adequate pain relief post-op and that you keep them indoors if they are usually outside the day they come home from the vet.

I plan to keep them in when I get them home. Borrowing a puppy pen :D

Thanks for the tip on pain relief :D

Back