• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i have got a new bunny.

mreeyore

Warren Scout
today we have got a new bunny, he is eight week old and came from someone i no. they got him from a pet shop and didnnt want him, so managed to rescue him before he went into rescue. he has not been out ov his cage til we got him. heis only eight week old.he has been none stop round our house but i dare not take him in the garden after wot happened to eeyore when i was on holiday. i have bought some fly guard fom pets at home . it doesnt say a age limit on the packet, is robbie to young to have it, please help

:wave: You need to take this bunny for a vet check before applying anything like that - use only a recommended product by the vet. He is very young, I personally would go with checking his bottom daily rather than applying chemicals to a baby bunny, how long did your friend have him then considering they aren't recommended to leave mum till 8 weeks:? Poor little thing must be so terrified, I hope your giving him lots of rest and have covered the top back of the cage to make him feel secure. Did they say why they didn't want him anymore?

Sorry, I don't know, but I wish your new bunny well. :wave: Hope someone can answer your question soon. Perhaps you could also post the question in the 'health' section of 'rabbit care.'

Personally, I wouldn't bother with anything like Rearguard unless the bun is known to have toilet issues or it's unwell. Bunnies spend a lot of time licking their butts :)lol:) and I don't tlike the thought of them licking chemicals. It's important to get into a routine of checking bunnies backside every day. If you're feeding him the right things and he's fit and healthy then there's really no need to be overly worried. :wave:

robbie was bought from a pet shop last monday. they told her he was 8wks, so he must be about nine weeks tomorrow.she only gave him less then a week before realising she couldnt manage him.he is a happy little bunny, i think that wherever he was born he must have had a lot of human contact because he is so friendly and very nosey, he into everythinh like a bunny shud be, he is eating well and drinking and pooping !
he is dwarf lop, but i think he is going to be a lot bigger then eeyore was.

Well done for taking on this new bunny and I hope you find lots of useful advice on here to help you look after him and give him all he needs.

I joined this time last year and I learnt LOADS from the people on here, all sorts of things I didnt know about.

Feel free to ask any questions you need to. :wave:

I think 12 weeks tends to the starting point for stuff like that, but as others have said, I honestly wouldn't bother unless he has toilet problems, other than those associated with the stress of moving to a new home, although you say he's already pooping fine.

My previous bun got flystrike although I noticed quickly and he was fine afterwards, so I am also paranoid about flystrike, but as long as he has a good diet & a clean living area he should be fine. You can also take more natural precautions, like putting citronella on cotton wool balls, wrapping them in muslin material and hanging them near his cage (out of his reach). Fly screens also work!

Perhaps you could start a new thread asking for flystrike prevention tips, or just do a search, there's plenty around :wave:

xxx

Back