• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My babies are going to PAH

serendipity

Warren Scout
:cry::cry:

I just can't cope with 8 bunnies as I can't afford to neuter them. Fairly soon I know we will end up with more babies and there are no rescues close enough that I can afford to get to.

I have done the maths and I could afford the vaccines in the future and to buy a shed and convert it for some of them, but I can't afford to neuter the 6 I currently have unneutered so PAH have offered to take 2 for their adoption centre and I am going to take them up on their offer. When they have rehomed them they will take the other two babies :(:cry:

I adore these bunnies. Please don't flame me - I wish more than anything I could keep them and if it wasn't for the neutering bit I think I could (I have 4 hutch / run combos).

Feeling really low tonight.

Hi serendipity

Sorry to hear about your buns going to pah for adoption. *Hugs* Sending them some positive vibes for a lovely home. I think you are doing the best thing if you feel you can't cope with them. That's a very brave thing to do especially when you obviously love and care about them very much.

Love
Ambience xxxxxx

:cry::cry::cry: its awful how easily they breed, up until last week i was considering telling Stes mom to have her baby buns pts, in my opinion it was the only option to save them from awful lives so i sort of know how painful this is for you :cry::cry::cry:

hope your babies find lovely homes xxxxxx

:cry: Have you spoken to the PSDA or RSPCA and seen if they will help you at all, can't you separate into 2 groups of male and female?

Hiya, I have seperated but not sure if I have their sexes right and our local vet wanted £38 to sex them for me which I don't have for 2 more weeks...

PAH can't take them today so they are with me another night anyway.

There are none near me, this area seems to be lacking in rescues sadly x If there was one nearby I ould ask them to check I have the sexes right which would buy me more time.

Fairly soon I know we will end up with more babies

Why :?

Have you not separated them ?

Are you going to take Rabbits who *might* be pregnant to P@H :? :cry:

Have you tried to rehome them yourself ? P@H wont neuter or vaccinate either and they also wont home check. At least if you rehomed them yourself you could do the home check.

There are none near me, this area seems to be lacking in rescues sadly x If there was one nearby I ould ask them to check I have the sexes right which would buy me more time.

It's quite easy to do yourself- it is a risk- but i remember when i first checked my rabbits sexes i did it quite often to check i'd not got it wrong. Some of the informative sites on this have good descriptions on what to look for. It is sometimes hard to tell when they are younger, but it is something that can be done yourself. http://www.debmark.com/rabbits/sexing.htm

Ambience xxx

p.s how old are the buns?

Last edited:
If you could arrange for a rescue to take them you might be able to arrange for someone to help your transport them there. You can ask for a thread to be made in "Homecheck / Transport Requests" forum.

I did post on here asking for help with sexing them but it was inconclusive. In answer to the person who wants to know if I have sepearted them, yes, I have according to my sexing which as I have said before, I have got wrong in the past.

I have no more hutches so cannot seperate them all - I'd need 7 hutches to do that! I have 2 neutered males bonded recently in one hutch and run combo. Mum and the 2 babies I think are female together - one is definitely female, the other is the runt. People on here felt it could be male, I thought female.

Then I have an older baby - 17 weeks or so, female imo, alone in another hutch and run combo. I 'd like to bond this one - Thistle - with the two males once she is done.

Then in the final hutch and run combo are my 2 babies I think are males, one definitely is, the other people on here thought ma be female. They are the pairing I am worried about.

My plan was this:

Take the 2 male babies (Flapjack and Ebony) to be neutered and keep together. If one is female as suggested on here, then as long as the male is neutered swiftly, I assume they could remain as a pair and the female sorted in the future.

Next, spay mum but leave with her 2 baby girls.

Then spay Thistle and in the future bond with my two males if possible, they were neutered a few months ago.

Then do the two female babies together.

My issue is this - I need Flapjack and Ebony done quickly in case I have the sexing wrong. My husband and I both lost our jobs. My husband starts a new job tomorrow and so we need to wait til the end of Sept when he gets his first paycheck for the neutering of these two, we can then afford to work our way through monthly if that makes sense until they are all sorted?

My husband has cleared a space at the end of the garden for a large shed. I had hoped to divide it and provide half for Mum and the two baby girls (Wiggles, Elfie and Caramel) and the other half for Our 2 boys - Crackers and Bouncer and hopefully Thistle if the bonding is successful. That would leave Flapjack and Ebony who I thought could have our biggest hutch with a run combo. My husband said he could create a space each side of the shed to attach a run for each of the threesomes and they would all have had a good space - they spend much of the time in the house too as my children adore them and we have an enclosed garden so they all get space to run free at times.

So you see, I know people must think I am terrible, but despite the babies being unexpected, I did make plans to care for them and I took our responsibilities seriously. Losing jobs knocked us for six. I adore all these rabbits. We've handled them since a week old and they are the sweetest rabbits - all of them. None have ever bitten any of us, they come to us freely etc. I'm a bit worried people are assuming a life of neglect.

If it wasn't for the fact that the neutering is urgent, or if I could get them absolutely certainly sexed (please don't forget we are in this situation as the VET sexed our rabbits as two girls!), then I think they would have a very happy future here.

If anyone has any other thoughs, please do let me know - thanks also to those who have pm'd me, I will respond as quickly as poss.

I did post on here asking for help with sexing them but it was inconclusive. In answer to the person who wants to know if I have sepearted them, yes, I have according to my sexing which as I have said before, I have got wrong in the past.

I have no more hutches so cannot seperate them all - I'd need 7 hutches to do that! I have 2 neutered males bonded recently in one hutch and run combo. Mum and the 2 babies I think are female together - one is definitely female, the other is the runt. People on here felt it could be male, I thought female.

Then I have an older baby - 17 weeks or so, female imo, alone in another hutch and run combo. I 'd like to bond this one - Thistle - with the two males once she is done.

Then in the final hutch and run combo are my 2 babies I think are males, one definitely is, the other people on here thought ma be female. They are the pairing I am worried about.

My plan was this:

Take the 2 male babies (Flapjack and Ebony) to be neutered and keep together. If one is female as suggested on here, then as long as the male is neutered swiftly, I assume they could remain as a pair and the female sorted in the future.

Then spay Thistle and in the future bond with my two males if possible, they were neutered a few months ago.

My issue is this - I need Flapjack and Ebony done quickly in case I have the sexing wrong. My husband and I both lost our jobs. My husband starts a new job tomorrow and so we need to wait til the end of Sept when he gets his first paycheck for the neutering of these two, we can then afford to work our way through monthly if that makes sense until they are all sorted?

My husband has cleared a space at the end of the garden for a large shed. I had hoped to divide it and provide half for Mum and the two baby girls (Wiggles, Elfie and Caramel) and the other half for Our 2 boys - Crackers and Bouncer and hopefully Thistle if the bonding is successful. That would leave Flapjack and Ebony who I thought could have our biggest hutch with a run combo. My husband said he could create a space each side of the shed to attach a run for each of the threesomes and they would all have had a good space - they spend much of the time in the house too as my children adore them and we have an enclosed garden so they all get space to run free at times.

So you see, I know people must think I am terrible, but despite the babies being unexpected, I did make plans to care for them and I took our responsibilities seriously. Losing jobs knocked us for six. I adore all these rabbits. We've handled them since a week old and they are the sweetest rabbits - all of them. None have ever bitten any of us, they come to us freely etc. I'm a bit worried people are assuming a life of neglect.

If it wasn't for the fact that the neutering is urgent, or if I could get them absolutely certainly sexed (please don't forget we are in this situation as the VET sexed our rabbits as two girls!), then I think they would have a very happy future here.

If anyone has any other thoughs, please do let me know - thanks also to those who have pm'd me, I will respond as quickly as poss.

Where abouts in Warwickshire do you live. There is an RSPCA in Warwickshire and Coventry.

My plan was this:

I would contact your local PDSA and ask if they can sex them for you, explain the situation about your jobs etc - ask if they will neuter them for you so that you can pay in installments, I can't see that being completely out of the question, they are supposed to help people in difficulties and this would be in the best interests of the animals.

If it's just the cost of neutering that is making you give them up, why not hold off? I know ideally that everyone should get them done ASAP, but the truth of the matter is that not everyone does, whether that's because they don't know any better or for other reasons. Think of all the rabbits that are in rescues - I think it's more rare for them to be already be done when they come in, and they come in at all ages.

The girls can't be done til their about 6 months anyway, so you've got a while yet for speying the younger girls, and I don't think you mentioned how old your unneutered boys are, but they can't be done til they're around 12 weeks, I think.

If they spend time in the house already, is it not possible to make a few temporary indoor accommodations?

Of course, if its the general upkeep of all of them that you can't afford, then you are absolutely doing the right thing, but could you not try to rehome them yourself? You could do a homecheck and inform the new owners about their needs, and possibly keep in contact with them.

xxx

PAH can no way guarantee a good home, they are incredibly irresponsible when it comes to homing their animals. Please reconsider.

Im so sorry you are found in a no win situation, im pretty sure the pdsa would help with neutering if you are on any council tax/housing benefits? xx

PAH can no way guarantee a good home, they are incredibly irresponsible when it comes to homing their animals. Please reconsider.

In fairness they do a lot more than preloved, freeads, BYB's etc - they also offer vouchers for neutering the bunnies, PAH are by no means perfect yet although they are striving to improve which is great, they are still light years ahead on rabbit welfare compared to some.

Im so sorry you are found in a no win situation, im pretty sure the pdsa would help with neutering if you are on any council tax/housing benefits? xx

They would most definately sex them at least ! Get in touch with them ASAP.

In fairness they do a lot more than preloved, freeads, BYB's etc - they also offer vouchers for neutering the bunnies, PAH are by no means perfect yet although they are striving to improve which is great, they are still light years ahead on rabbit welfare compared to some.

Not necessarily, some people who rehome themselves homecheck etc.

Back