• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What breed is my bunny...?

KB26

Young Bun
Hello everyone, I hope someone can help me! My boyfriend and I are now the (very) proud owners of Chesney, who is approx five months old. We bought him at six weeks old and we were told at the time that he was a mini lop. Not being an expert on rabbits we took this as gospel! However, I've been doing a lot of reading about mini lops and I'm beginning to doubt that is what Ches is!

The main reason is his ears aren't 'lopped' - they are quite long and he tends to have one up and one down or both pointing forward like horns but they're showing no sign of dropping right down like every other lop I've seen.

Can anyone here advise me on lop bunnies' ears...?! Do they drop right away or will it maybe happen when he gets older? I would post a pic (I have hundreds like any proud parent!!) but can't see how to post a jpeg image onto this thread...:oops: - not very computer literate!!

Thank you in advance :wave:

if he is a cross they can take alot longer to lop, or some never really lop, I love buns with one ear lopped or ones with helicopter ears :love:

Hello everyone, I hope someone can help me! My boyfriend and I are now the (very) proud owners of Chesney, who is approx five months old. We bought him at six weeks old and we were told at the time that he was a mini lop. Not being an expert on rabbits we took this as gospel! However, I've been doing a lot of reading about mini lops and I'm beginning to doubt that is what Ches is!

The main reason is his ears aren't 'lopped' - they are quite long and he tends to have one up and one down or both pointing forward like horns but they're showing no sign of dropping right down like every other lop I've seen.

Can anyone here advise me on lop bunnies' ears...?! Do they drop right away or will it maybe happen when he gets older? I would post a pic (I have hundreds like any proud parent!!) but can't see how to post a jpeg image onto this thread...:oops: - not very computer literate!!

Thank you in advance :wave:
Please can you post a piccy?

Thank you WeeBarraxO - he does have helicopter ears!! A very good way to describe them! Perhaps he is a cross - what e is crossed with I have no idea! Although his hair is very fine, almost like a cat, and he sheds quite a lot which is very unlike our friends' rabbits who have short hair that is not as fluffy (think they are mini rex?!) :)

...PS did a bit of googling and this little chap is the closest I can find to how Chesney looks (the caramel coloured one in this link) - but Chesney's ears are a bit longer...http://www.petwebsite.com/rabbits/rabbits_behavior.htm

what sort of size is he, do you know his weight, depending on size/weight be may even be a dwarf lop/holand lop/ theres lots of diff lops :D, but as I said if he is a cross he may never lop or might just take a while :D

Hi Maizey, not sure how to?! :oops: I only have images on my comp from a digi camera - how do I post them?!

Thank you WeeBarraxO - he does have helicopter ears!! A very good way to describe them! Perhaps he is a cross - what e is crossed with I have no idea! Although his hair is very fine, almost like a cat, and he sheds quite a lot which is very unlike our friends' rabbits who have short hair that is not as fluffy (think they are mini rex?!) :)

no probs I love helicopter ears :love: one of my buns (who is a cross - Dwarf lop x lionhead) sometimes lets her ears down to helicopter style hehe

SAM_3665.jpg

or one up one down
SAM_1591.jpg

or both up :shock:
SAM_3646.jpg

as you can see she has HUGE ears hehe

Oh dear, not sure about weight, I'd say maybe 5 pounds but afraid I'd be guessing! I'm not doing very well here...! ;)

Oh dear, not sure about weight, I'd say maybe 5 pounds but afraid I'd be guessing! I'm not doing very well here...! ;)

aww its ok :D, anyone correct me if I'm wrong but I think mini lops a around 1.5 kg & dwarf lops are 2 - 2.5 kg,

this is a dwarf lop next to a nethie to show how big :shock:
SAM_1483.jpg

Ahhhhhh she is a beauty!!!! There was a lionhead in the shop when we bought Chesney and we had a hard time deciding between them :D

Aw how cute! The wee one is teeny tiny! I'd say Ches is about the same size as the larger bunny but difficult to tell...wish I could upload the pics!! :S

Hi hun you have to upload your piccies to photobucket.Im really stupid with computers:oops::oops::oops::oops:Im sure someone else will come along and tell you what you have to do next xxxxxxx

Aw how cute! The wee one is teeny tiny! I'd say Ches is about the same size as the larger bunny but difficult to tell...wish I could upload the pics!! :S

if you make a photobucket account, you can upload them there and from there get them on here :D I'm sure there is s thread somewhere explaining how to do it, hold on I'll have a looksie :D

Back