• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding bunnies for newbie

rabbitdan

Mama Doe
Im getting a rabbit. I will get him/her neutred, then get another rabbit (get it neutred) and bond them. Would it matter which sex i get first? would they need seperate hutches or could the new one live in an ex pen in my house until they are bonded? when you breed rabbits i know that you have to bring the female to the males hutch, would this make a difference when introduing them to the existing rabbits hutch?

thanks

sorry for all the q's just want to get it right! :D

have you considered getting a pair that's ready-bonded from a rescue?

Always bond on neutral territory, then totally neutralise the hutch you're going to put them in when you're happy that they're bonded and can put them in together.

Having talked to a few rescues, they have far more trouble homing pairs of buns. Would you consider getting a ready bonded pair? It can be hard to bond bunnies, and it'd give a pair of rescues a chance that they might not get.
(Plus you wouldn't have to neuter them...which is VERY costly, and can be worrying! ;))

We got two rabbits from Pets at Home. In retropsect I wish we had got a bonded pair from a rescue. Our pair fought and had to be separated for a few months then rebonded - complete PITA having two separate hutches, runs etc. and two grumpy rabbits.

If you get a bonded pair it will be a really well established bond. Plus neutering/speying is around £45 and £60 at our vets. The cute baby phase is very short lived.

In the future if I where to get more rabbits I would def go the easier router of an already bonded pair. even if it isn't cheaper it will be a lot less hassel with having to keep them seperated whilst waiting to be neutered- recovering. especially when at the end of it it turns out the hate each other with a passion and won't bond anyway

Back