• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any ideas? (Keeping a bun confined)

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
Have a slight dilemma with Meg bunny. She can get out of anything :(

She lives in the shed and has been able to climb out of her pen and get into the garden, I wouldn't mind but she shares the shed with my terminally ill oldie who also free ranges in the garden. Meg hates her with a passion :roll:

I put her in a hutch overnight, she chewed through the wood on the door and got out :shock: Put her in another hutch and she pulled the weld mesh apart to get out. She's chewed through countless cable ties holding a dog crate door shut. She's pulled a C&C grid cage apart before, and eaten the cable ties :?

I was rotating her toys on a weekly basis, but this week I've rotated them every day in case she was bored, she lives with her partner. I scatter her dinner, plus she has a treat ball with her dinner in.

Any ideas how to keep her confined? Or stop her manic behaviour?

ETA She's been checked over by the vet and we can find nothing wrong, oh and she's spayed.

we once had two rabbits who hated each other many years ago.
We had to divide the garden up with double -meshed panels so they could each free range at the same time. Also floor to ceiling mesh panels in the shed.
It is difficult.

try a metal bolt on the dog crate instead of the cable ties? -I know its hard to fix but maybe ask advice in a local ironmongers?

Metal strips over the wooden hutch surround?

sue:wave:

If she's used to a large area then caging her at night, when rabbits are most active, may just be stressing her out and get her worked up so she tries to get out. Even if you manage to bun proof it won't stop her feeling that way just give her no outlet.

Is there a way to make her whole pen more secure. You said she climbed out - does it have a lid? Even 3-4' is jumpable to some rabbits and they use any toys/boxes as a platform to leap from.

Is the garden safe at night? If so would the other rabbit be more amenable to be caged at night? It depends on personality - if she's a more laid back bun it might not bother her the same way as Meg.

Back