• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pdsa

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
Ok, so I think now I'll qualify for PDSA, but I feel bad :( I took on all my pets except Ruby before my financial situation changed, but I can still technically afford treatment, money is just tight. And I want to use my own vet.

Has anyone ever used PDSA? How do you feel about it? Do they spay/neuter?

i havent yet but i wouldnt hesitate if i found myself in the position of not having the money to pay and having a charity willing to help

its not forever hunny so dont feel bad, they created the charity for people in your current situation xxxx

I have once, for Magic's emergency c-section & spay, as it was on a bank holiday & we didn't have the money for it all at that moment in time (we usually would have) & yeah they were amazing got her seen to etc, but you still have to pay for a spay/neuter as its elective surgery, I didn't have to pay for magics as she was an emergency though I did give a big donation when I got paid, but if its just a normal spay/neuter you still have to pay, it is at a reduced rate though I think ?

my brother used them when his dog had cancer - they're there to help out people who don't have much money and you shouldn't feel guilty for it.

I have 'paid back' some of my brothers operation in donations. So you could always consider it a loan and aim to make a monthly donation.

Thanks guys, I guess you're right, I could always pay them back in donations when I have more money :wave:

I might ring them and ask about spaying. Not sure how I feel though I just want my own vet to do it

They refused to help when my bunny was ill. I have no income (stay at home mum) and my partner had just lost his job so was on job seekers at the time. We had no money at all because we had to pay the morgage.

My bun was really ill but because we were not claiming housing benifit the PDSA said they couldn't help :(

Why don't you ask Neil about a payment plan, they do a monthly thing but haven't looked into it, my mum does it with her mutt and she gets money off worming and vaccs xxx

My sis goes to the PDSA and they've been pretty good but thats with two big dogs!

They refused to help when my bunny was ill. I have no income (stay at home mum) and my partner had just lost his job so was on job seekers at the time. We had no money at all because we had to pay the morgage.

My bun was really ill but because we were not claiming housing benifit the PDSA said they couldn't help :(

:( yeah, I've been on a low income for the past 3 years, but because I couldn't claim housing benefit because I was a student, I wasn't eligible until now.

The PDSA have some excellent vets and veterinary nurses who are qualified and experienced and some have lots of experience with rabbits because they see so many animals each day. They will treat up to three pets, they treat both animals and their owners with respect. I used to be a fund raiser for the PDSA and I did this because I thought every pet should have access to a vet and also because I understand how important pets are to their owners, anybody can fall on hard times, and it is reassuring to know that these vets will provide an excellent service to pets and their owners. Do not feel bad about using them. I am not sure about neutering I think they may make a charge for preventative treatment.

Why don't you ask Neil about a payment plan, they do a monthly thing but haven't looked into it, my mum does it with her mutt and she gets money off worming and vaccs xxx

I've seen that, but I think with the money you spend overall it isn't worth it xxx

When I worked in a Council Housing department people used to come in with their forms for the PDSA - we used to have to verify that they were receiving Housing Benefit for them to be able to use the PDSA. This was a few years ago, so don't know if it still applies :?

would your vets not let you pay it up week by week or something, my vets always tell me if I don't have enough I can pay what I can and pay the rest of it up in instalments ?

you could speak to them about paying off treatments monthly tho and see what they say, I'm sure they'd work out something with you, just give them a call on Monday and speak to Neil or one of the nurses.

If you wanted to go to the PDSA I'm sure they'd be fine, I'm sure my sis said she'd seen buns there when she'd been up with the mutts but I have no idea what they would charge. Give them a ring too and weigh up the options.

I honestly cannot see Neil telling you to ****** off even tho he is Scottish and a horrid man who mocks poor bunnies and their stressed owners!!

you could speak to them about paying off treatments monthly tho and see what they say, I'm sure they'd work out something with you, just give them a call on Monday and speak to Neil or one of the nurses.

If you wanted to go to the PDSA I'm sure they'd be fine, I'm sure my sis said she'd seen buns there when she'd been up with the mutts but I have no idea what they would charge. Give them a ring too and weigh up the options.

I honestly cannot see Neil telling you to ****** off even tho he is Scottish and a horrid man who mocks poor bunnies and their stressed owners!!

he doesn't mock all poor bunnies and their owners, just you :p

I think I mentioned payment options when I rang about Jas and Daphne and she said you had to pay upfront (not sure who I spoke to). Maybe if I cry.... or get Ruby to cry down the phone... I feel awful though cos I can afford it but I'm scared to spend my savings when they're not getting topped up.

Dont feel bad nicola i might have to use them if this bad unemployment situation continues for us :cry:

You can register 3 pets so im told and you just need to take your benefit letter in as proof. xxx

I don't think the housing benefit rule still applies, my brother's never claimed housing benefit but they gave him some money when he was on JSA.

When I worked in a Council Housing department people used to come in with their forms for the PDSA - we used to have to verify that they were receiving Housing Benefit for them to be able to use the PDSA. This was a few years ago, so don't know if it still applies :?

oh man, the council housing benefit place just makes me want to die, I hate it. I think you take your proof with you so you might not have to do that anymore :?

Dont feel bad nicola i might have to use them if this bad unemployment situation continues for us :cry:

You can register 3 pets so im told and you just need to take your benefit letter in as proof. xxx

:cry: aww hun it's so bad at the minute xx

You should have had a letter from them nicola?
just take that with you. xxx

we still aren't sorted with the council/housing benefit, because OH's pay is so weird and because his boss 'forgot' to pay him a couple of times :evil: xxx

Back