• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

has anyone else come across these narrow minded people?

loulabell

Warren Scout
today i took my mowgli to the vet to be neuterd, when i got to work i told my collegues that i may get a call from the vets.

one of the women that i work with asked why my rabbit was in the vets, i told her he was being neuterd she asked me "why on earth do you want that done?" i explained i wanted to get all my buns done so i can try to bond them.

she asked how much it was costing? i told her £60 she said "i would never spend £60 on a rabbit"! she then went on to tell me how when her kids were young thay had a rabbit but she gave it away when thay were at school because thay would'nt clean it out!

this is not the first time she's said stuff when my flopsy died age 10 i was heartbroken, i went to work the morning he died and she said you look like you've been crying i explained that my rabbit had died she said "rabbit pie for tea then, i could understand if it was a dog but i would'nt get upset over a rabbit" i am so :censored:off with these small minded people!

:roll: do you work with my mother?? :lol: she nearly died when she saw I had bought a cat carrier for mine.

:evil::evil: it does irritate me though, when I had my massive vet bill someone I worked with said 'I can't believe you spent that' - as if I should have just left them to die! And these people normally drink or smoke their money away :roll:

It's awful isn't it. I was telling my friend today that I was down cos we've had to cancel our holiday, cos our hammie is sick, and if he gets to be in pain we need money to have him pts. My 'friend' said that my hammie is doomed anyway, so I might as well have him PTS now and go on holiday :cry: mind you, he was vaguely tactful about it, he respects my decision, he wasn't taking the mickey or anything. But just the fact someone would say that upset me.

It's awful isn't it. I was telling my friend today that I was down cos we've had to cancel our holiday, cos our hammie is sick, and if he gets to be in pain we need money to have him pts. My 'friend' said that my hammie is doomed anyway, so I might as well have him PTS now and go on holiday :cry: mind you, he was vaguely tactful about it, he respects my decision, he wasn't taking the mickey or anything. But just the fact someone would say that upset me.

:cry: aww I'm sorry about your hammie. I won't even repeat what my mum suggested when my hammie needed PTS :shock:

The rabbit pie comment seems pretty common as does the typical, "why did you spend so much on your ill rabbit when you can just get a new one for £20!!!"

I reeeeeally have to bite my tongue sometimes!!!

:evil::evil::censored::censored:
It annoys me so much.People at work have had me in tears being so narrow minded about my bunnies.
They should really think before opening their big gobs:evil:

its rare i come accross it. i think the people in my life have been there long enough to respect my feelings and my love of ALL animals so tend to not say such horrible stuff in my presence. whether they think it or not i have no idea.

people at work wouldnt dare :oops::oops: theyd get solid abuse and i guess they know it :lol::lol: my boss even bought me some homegrown carrots the other day and shes not an animal person at all :shock::shock::shock:
i also think the peeps i work with saw how hard it was with pearl so wouldnt dream of deliberately trying to upset me not even as a wind up.

yeah some people are just insensitive.
I understand that they may not spend that money on a rabbit but to say rabbit pie for tea in jest when you're clearly upset by the death of your pet is appalling. Regardless of their attitude to rabbits or whether they felt you were over reacting, people should show a bit of basic decency.

When I bought Eli I was quite bothered by how much of a hard time people gave me for buying an unfriendly, sick rabbit instead of a cute, cuddly one that didn't require vet treatment. Breaks my hear that most of the people i spoke to about it would rather have left him there to suffer.

:cry: aww I'm sorry about your hammie. I won't even repeat what my mum suggested when my hammie needed PTS :shock:

I can imagine. Part of me wishes I could be so heartless, we really could do without the expense, but I just don't understand that mentality. How could you look at something you love and do that :cry::cry::cry:

I've already mentioned on here about the day the only other bunny lady at work rang in to have the day off cos her 13 year old bunny had died, and my friend had to cover her and was taking the mickey :evil: and the same day someone else in the department was saying about her sick labrador and got loads of sympathy. How is there a hierarchy of pets?! It's like "if my son gets sick I'll get him treated, but if my daughter gets sick we'll just smash her head in with a brick, she's not worth the expense" :shock::evil:

Argh! I hate that. People at my work are always taking the mick out of me because they think I spend way too much of my money and time on my bunnies but they are generally very "self-minded" people so it doesn't surprise me. One man in my office told what he considered to be a hilarious joke about his sons rabbit biting through the tv cord and electricuting itself. Yes it died. If looks could have killed that man would be 6 feet under. I understand accidents sometimes happen but it is NOT FUNNY! That poor little bunny.

Animals are the most rewarding things in the world... but only if you appreciate them :(! It upsets me so much that they're just discarded so easily :(

I don't think anyone I work with would dare make such comments to me. Saying that, I don't think I work with anyone that horrible. I'm sure loads of people must think we're crazy about the bunnies but thinking and saying are completely different things. If someone made a 'joke' about pie to me I couldn't be responsible for what my reaction might be.

I think the people who say these things about pets do not know how strong a bond pet owners have with their animals, they have never experience the true love of an animal, yes they may have experience of keeping animals but rather than being an animal owner and animal lover they are an animal keeper there is a difference I think, anybody can keep an animal but it takes love, time, patience and resources to be an animal owner/lover. I would never own reptiles however if somebody was upset at the loss of such pet I would understand how they would feel because I know what it is like to loose a much loved pet.

Yep there's a lot of them, I remember when sorrel was poorly someone in all seriousness asked me why I didn't just kill her and get a new healthy rabbit :(:(

jut avoid these people, theyll only make you sad

Ive had a lot of nasty and uncalled for remarks too, people just cannot understand how i can spend so much on my buns care and health. xx

:roll: do you work with my mother?? :lol: she nearly died when she saw I had bought a cat carrier for mine.

:evil::evil: it does irritate me though, when I had my massive vet bill someone I worked with said 'I can't believe you spent that' - as if I should have just left them to die! And these people normally drink or smoke their money away :roll:

funnily enough she is a drinker and smoker!:lol:

I just remembered the worst thing someone said to me.

It was last month after we lost Louis and Lilia. At a family BBQ, a member of Paul's family said, "I heard you lost 2 of your bunnies...well at least you can make a pair of slippers out of them!" :evil::evil::evil:

My mum was sitting next to me at the time. I didn't say a word and my mum took hold of my hand bless her. How can any sane person think it is OK to make comments like that?!?!? This family member is not an animal lover but knows how much I love our guys so why do it?!?!

funnily enough she is a drinker and smoker!:lol:

ah, how did I know. But if you said 'how can you spend so much money on something that will probably kill you?' your entire workplace would probably dive on you and go on about that's her choice :roll:

It was last month after we lost Louis and Lilia. At a family BBQ, a member of Paul's family said, "I heard you lost 2 of your bunnies...well at least you can make a pair of slippers out of them!" :evil::evil::evil:

My mum was sitting next to me at the time. I didn't say a word and my mum took hold of my hand bless her. How can any sane person think it is OK to make comments like that?!?!? This family member is not an animal lover but knows how much I love our guys so why do it?!?!

:shock: How nasty, im so sorry. xx

I just ignore people like this. It's right and propper to do the very best for any little animal who is completely at your mercy and has no choice over who keeps them and what is provided for them. I feel like I owe it to all my animals (dog, buns and piggies) to give them the best life I poss can because they didn't choose me, I chose them! What's more - God made them, He knows how many hairs they have on their furry little bodies. If people don't get that then theres something wrong with them and I find it very unattractive!! SO THERE!!!! :evil:

Oh what a lovely person they must be, sorry but, if someone said that to me that would be the 'end' of things with that person. I would possibly need restraining as the night progressed especially if I was drinking because it would simmer away and eventually explode - there are a lot of 'insensitive' people regarding animals, I actually find the assumption that you must be a bit drippy or soppy or dim in general if you respect rabbits as a pet like any other eg, cat or dog - why is there a discrimination, I don't discriminate between my animals I do all I can to meet all their welfare needs and love them equally regardless of species - does that make me odd? No I don't think so and if anyone wants to judge me as odd because I have rabbits and pampered ones at that - go ahead - say it to my face and see what you get!:evil: It makes me so mad, don't stand for it - it's downright rude and inconsiderate - if all reasoning fails and it's going in one ear and out the other just tell her to :censored: off and mind her own business.

Back