• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit appreciation - U/D new bedding

pigsforlife

Mama Doe
Within 2 seconds of laying out fresh new fleece;

012-5.jpg

011-7.jpg

This is one of reasons why we are looking at alternatives for bedding - we need something a little heavier. They can still have a bit of fleece to dig up, but once they have dug up their fleece they then have no grip on the corflute so slide everywhere. We are thinking a bit of carpet or something underneath should help solve the problem.

And a random action shot from the other day;

010-8.jpg

Last edited:
:lol::lol::lol::love:

My Arrabella does this with the newspaper & then checks that Im watching her!:lol::love:

Biscuit does that with his towel in the cat litter tray that he sleeps in, but then i put it straight and he gets in and flops in it. Im sure its a way to get me to put it how he likes it so he can snooze :lol:

Maybe vet bed? It's that bit heavier, but could be a problem if your bunny likes to chew! Expensiveish too, but reusable.

I put Spenser on a fleece like that just after we brought him home - he was so nervous, poor boy. I imagine a more confident bunching action would take place should I offer it now. I must try to dig out the piccie ... :wave:

Thanks for the comments!

You gotta love them! Learn something new every day. Today I learnt to NEVER give buns juicy red capsicum. They may decided to take said capsicum out of cage and onto carpet that was only cleaned the other week.:roll:

Maybe vet bed? It's that bit heavier, but could be a problem if your bunny likes to chew! Expensiveish too, but reusable.

Haven't actually seen vetbed in Australia. Will have a look online tomorrow. I would need to get a sample or something to see if Noah will chew it - he has the tendency to chew some things, but does leave the fleece alone.

Here's Spenser with my fleece. :wave: He's a garden bunny, but we got him before the run arrived so he came into the conservatory to stretch his paws.

P4270336.jpg

What about getting some velcro tabs and sticking down the fleece with those, would that be strong enough to deter the digging?

When mine go in the carrier to the vets I put vetbed in. Mischa ALWAYS digs whatever is in the carrier and even vetbed he can get up! I do use it at home though. When he's more settled he leaves it alone. At home it's normally MINI who digs it up! Well attempts to, it's much harder to move than towels and fleece. Also I pull it down the sides of the crate so even if they do dig it has no chance of coming up.

Just looking at vetbed now. Only problem is that they will have to post it, and being heavier - postage isn't going to be pretty. I need some help though - this is their website; http://www.peperonepetsupplies.com/

Do I go for the green backed vetbed or the rubber back vetbed? And is this the right stuff? It is quite expensive but I am willing to look into it as an option. Would be gorgeous and soft on their hocks.

I wouldn't have thought it would move that much on the Corflute, not if the size was just right. I have some green backed more expensive stuff and some non-slip cheaper stuff. I prefer the green backed but I think that's cos the vetbed itself is better quality. I put mine on top of towels because my lot have a tendency to wee on it a bit so the nonslip aspect is lost anyway.

Mine do exactly the same with vet bed too, so I'd be inclined to save my pennies!
100% wool carpet squares have worked better for my guys & do't seem too abrasive for their hocks either.

Hmmm if urs are diggers carpet might be the best option, with the fleece on top so they can dif to their hearts content :D

no matter what i use for bedding for my 2 (freerange house buns) they ALWAYS dig it up and chew at it :roll: Ive left them to their own devises now and they've made themselves very comfy beds in the draws under my bed. Have had to take out all of my nice vlothes and just put old stuff in there, i now live out of a suitcase :shock::lol:

Hmmm if urs are diggers carpet might be the best option, with the fleece on top so they can dif to their hearts content :D

no matter what i use for bedding for my 2 (freerange house buns) they ALWAYS dig it up and chew at it :roll: Ive left them to their own devises now and they've made themselves very comfy beds in the draws under my bed. Have had to take out all of my nice vlothes and just put old stuff in there, i now live out of a suitcase :shock::lol:

:lol:

Mine just have towels at the moment. Once they are a bit more settled and not marking so much I'll put down old duvets for them. Nutmeg can't get territorial marking out of her head so it's taking a little while.

I think that I will go with some bath mats. I can get some really soft plush bath mats with a rubber/texture backing that wouldn't move around so much. Then I will put a bit of fleece over the top so that they can dig that. If that doesn't work, I will go for vet bed. Just think I might try something a little cheaper and closer to home first!

Back