• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Removed wood chippings from litter tray...

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
...and now Biscuit has decided he doesn't like it! Removed it after advice and info read about it causing issues with breathing and sore bums!

Just watched him pull *all* the hay out of it, leaving folded newspaper at the bottom and a nice pile of fresh golden poops.

How do you all manage it?

Am i doing something wrong? (please dont suggest megazorb or any normal litter, he eats it and throws it everywhere :roll:)

EDIT: this should have been in behaviour i think, sorry - mods, please move if you want.

sorry can't help - mine are no on megazorb - got a few funny looks but its easier to deal with for outdoor buns.
what about paper or cardboard shreddings?

To be honest, if it's just in his litter tray and it's the only thing he'll use, keep using it.

A lot of people have used wood shavings for a long long time and not had any problems. If you find he gets a sore butt or anything in the future, worry about it then. The shavings will only be in his litter tray so it's not like he has to breathe the dust in 24 hours a day. You could also put a layer of newspaper on top of the shavings as well as underneath.

I used wood shavings for my bunnies for a good ten years and never had one problem (although I now use Megazorb!). So long as the stuff you're using isn't really fine or dusty, Biscuit should be fine. :wave:

Honestly I sometimes use it at the bottom of my litter trays (when I don't have megazorb or carefresh) and so long as you have a thick layer of hay on the top it shouldn't cause problems.

Have you tried Aubiose. Twigs uses it in her trays and it's something like hemp, or similar, so no dust.

To be honest, if it's just in his litter tray and it's the only thing he'll use, keep using it.

A lot of people have used wood shavings for a long long time and not had any problems. If you find he gets a sore butt or anything in the future, worry about it then. The shavings will only be in his litter tray so it's not like he has to breathe the dust in 24 hours a day. You could also put a layer of newspaper on top of the shavings as well as underneath.

I used wood shavings for my bunnies for a good ten years and never had one problem (although I now use Megazorb!). So long as the stuff you're using isn't really fine or dusty, Biscuit should be fine. :wave:

Thanks Georgie :)

Think i'll have to go back to it. Just found a nice pile of them outside the litter tray, dont think he liked the change at all!

Think the idea of news paper on top of it may be an idea, but i think he likes maybe the feel of the wood shavings? Strange little bunster.

sorry can't help - mine are no on megazorb - got a few funny looks but its easier to deal with for outdoor buns.
what about paper or cardboard shreddings?

Tried just paper... you should ahve seen the living room:lol:

Honestly I sometimes use it at the bottom of my litter trays (when I don't have megazorb or carefresh) and so long as you have a thick layer of hay on the top it shouldn't cause problems.

Have you tried Aubiose. Twigs uses it in her trays and it's something like hemp, or similar, so no dust.

I hadnt used it, no, but i heard it was very expensive, so it put me off?

Or have i misread somewhere... wouldnt surprise me... heads not straight on atm!:roll:

I hadnt used it, no, but i heard it was very expensive, so it put me off?

Or have i misread somewhere... wouldnt surprise me... heads not straight on atm!:roll:

I don't think Aubiose is. It's what they use with Horses, and so comes in giant bales. It looks like woodchippings. :)

:lol: Biscuit's a fussy little git isn't he?! :p

I honestly think it's unlikely you'll have any problems with using it in his litter tray, but if you'd feel better getting him to use something else, can you do like with a food change over and add a little of the new litter into the shavings, increase the amount over a certain time frame and in theory, switch that way?! If it works with food, surely it'd work with litter! ;)

My boys never had any health problems and were always bedded on woodshavings and hay in their litter trays (but then they were only four). I have changed to Megazorb now, mainly because I know Sprocket had some health/sneezing issues when he was a baby. The vet thinks it might just have been allergies so I thought megazorb would be better for them. To be honest if it's what works fo you, keep using it.:D

Well he's used to having something nice and soft under his botty, going to newspapers a bit like swapping from kleenex triple quilted aloe vera to morrisons scratchy loo roll like what i get lol :lol::lol:

We have a nightmare of a time with litter for Bungle. Woodshavings get stuck in his fur, just newspaper and hay he hates because it doesnt abosrb the moisture so he will only wee in it once. We tried megazorb and that was a nightmare, all stuck in his fur and he refused to even go in the tray. I am now using wood pellet litter which seems to be going ok.

I have a fluffy bunny and I put a thick thick layer on top of the megazorb, that stops it being moved elsewhere! Mine don't dig though. When they are in there they are too busy eating. :lol:

I have a fluffy bunny and I put a thick thick layer on top of the megazorb, that stops it being moved elsewhere! Mine don't dig though. When they are in there they are too busy eating. :lol:

Biscuit digs in it when its time to be changed. Thats my prompt to change it, even if it doesnt look ready to me, he knows best:lol:

:lol:

Mischa used to dig in the tray. Back when I used small, shallow ones, I think he was trying to make more space to get his bum in. :lol:

:lol:

Mischa used to dig in the tray. Back when I used small, shallow ones, I think he was trying to make more space to get his bum in. :lol:

Biscuit only has one of those small plastic high backed ones. Tried him with a bigger one and he got confused and just sat in the corner, did his business *outside* the box and then slept in the litter tray :lol:

Be grateful Biscuit doesn't have a ramp to throw his litter tray down....

Blackie & Butter have a great time throwing their litter tray around - it's a brilliant game! And if you can get it down the ramp it's even better!

Back