• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Upset Over Nothing?

nik106

Warren Scout
I can't tell whether i've managed to get myself upset over nothing or not. Last night, my OH came in from work really tired to a lecture from his grandparents about the house and eating properly. Afterwards, i casually mentioned about wanting a bigger hutch for Lauren, which got us into an argument because apparently, a couple of hours a day out and her hutch is adequate. Not helped by his refusal to go to bed and sleeping on the sofa.

This, i can deal with, but.... i went out to get the rabbit in so she could have a good really run around the living room. Normally she comes to me when i go to the hutch but last night she didn't. When i got her in, she had a wonderful time exploring the newly bunny safe living room, whilst clambering up on the sofa to lick my OH as he slept occasionally. But with me, she wouldn't come anywhere near me! When i tried to pick her up, so i could put her to bed, she just ran off and made it as hard as possible. When i finally mananged to catch her, she started grinding her teeth at me. I don't know whether it was soft grinding or loud grinding as i've never heard her, or any rabbit do it before.

I appreciate that i was already upset but i was absolutely devasted. I do everything for her, where as my OH doesn't. He gets her out and cleans the hutch occasionally, but its me that makes sure she gets free time everyday, makes sure she's fed and watered, and gets her faveorite foods to munch on and spends lots of time with her so she doesn't get lonely.... And yet she seems to love him and hate me.

I can't tell whether i've managed to get myself upset over nothing or not. Last night, my OH came in from work really tired to a lecture from his grandparents about the house and eating properly. Afterwards, i casually mentioned about wanting a bigger hutch for Lauren, which got us into an argument because apparently, a couple of hours a day out and her hutch is adequate. Not helped by his refusal to go to bed and sleeping on the sofa.

This, i can deal with, but.... i went out to get the rabbit in so she could have a good really run around the living room. Normally she comes to me when i go to the hutch but last night she didn't. When i got her in, she had a wonderful time exploring the newly bunny safe living room, whilst clambering up on the sofa to lick my OH as he slept occasionally. But with me, she wouldn't come anywhere near me! When i tried to pick her up, so i could put her to bed, she just ran off and made it as hard as possible. When i finally mananged to catch her, she started grinding her teeth at me. I don't know whether it was soft grinding or loud grinding as i've never heard her, or any rabbit do it before.

I appreciate that i was already upset but i was absolutely devasted. I do everything for her, where as my OH doesn't. He gets her out and cleans the hutch occasionally, but its me that makes sure she gets free time everyday, makes sure she's fed and watered, and gets her faveorite foods to munch on and spends lots of time with her so she doesn't get lonely.... And yet she seems to love him and hate me.

I'm no expert, but im sure i know what this is...

You were stressed and upset. Lauren could tell you were and can sense it, so responded in the only way she knew how, kick up a fuss and be awkward! Biscuit does the same when im upset or angry. About a week ago, i was sat here crying after posting on RB and went to get some comfort from him. He licked me, then started stamping his feet and ran off.

I dont think they quite know how to deal with changes in their carers. Buns are very sensitive creatures as you know, i think thats whats happened. I wouldn't worry too much about how she responded, once you feel a bit better, she will be your same old bun.

Hugs to you though, sounds like you had a bit of a crappy day.

I am afraid this is the story of many bunnies! My buns all prefer my OH :roll: Mainly because I am the one who takes them to the vet, picks them up for bum checks etc. so they associate me with these things and OH gets just the fun stuff like feeding treats and grooming, bunnies can be fickle little things :lol:

It got to the point where Gus would stamp and run away when I went to see them as I had been medicating him, but he would run to OH for nose rubs :shock:

Thanks Graham! She was better when i went out this morning, actively trying to push her way out the hutch when i went to feed her. But she was still a bit hesitant. I feel a lot better knowing that its probably just because i was upset myself. Normally she's happy to clamber all over me, and she certainly had been earlier in the evening when we were out in the garden.

Yes I agree with Graham all apart from the tooth grinding when you picked her up, this would make me think two things 1) she doesn't like being up 2) it may be her 'time of the month' or she has a bit of pain somewhere when she is picked up. If her digestive system was at a point where she was relaxed and about to poo for example and she is scooped up, it might cause stress and she is letting you know that - she might not have wanted to poo on you in fact most bunnies don't as far as I'm aware, it could be anything like that, personally I would avoid picking her up to transport her i would let her go into a carrier and carry that out, in terms of handling her/picking her up just sit with her on the floor and lay some of her toys around, if you lay down and keep very still she will explore you as she did with your OH, the trick is to move very slowly and calmly, you need to build her trust i think. Lots of sitting with her but, letting her come to you, if you chase a rabbit they will run away - they have to come to you.

i could wait a lifetime for her to come to me if i want her to go back in the hutch. Usually some flat leaf parsley works, particuarly when i want her to get in a hutch, but last night she just picked it up and took off with it :lol:

Trust me when i tell you, she never has qualms about pooing on us. Its like a fun little game when we're on the sofa or the bed! Although she has been a lot better since she's gotten the hang of litter training.

Normally she has no problem with being picked up, and i normally only do so if i'm bringing her in the house. She seems more distressed in her carrier and constantly tries to dig or kick her way out, where as she'll normally be held without struggling. When she's in the garden, i let her climb in and out of the hutch by herself. When i'm ready for her to get back in, i will not chase as such but go to where i don't want her and kinda herd her towards it so she gets in herself.

Alvin treats me like this. but i know its playing and am so over the being hated feeling.. our new game he sits on the 3rd step of our stairs and glares at me... the choice he then has is to wait for me to watch then move the sheet i have covering the wallpaper and wait for me to chase or come down into the living room and attack the unprotected wallpaper. he then goes bombing back upstairs to tell Holly how evil i am :roll:

bunnies are strange little buggars but honestly theres no point getting upset over the way they act towards us, they can help it they are bunnies :love::love::love:

Must be just my bunnies that actually prefer my OH then :roll: :lol: :lol:

nope, me too, drives me insane! they even love my avon sales leader more than me :roll: it's the mummy syndrome - we tell them off and give them medicine, other people just stroke them and give them treats!

bunnies are strange little buggars but honestly theres no point getting upset over the way they act towards us, they can help it they are bunnies :love::love::love:
I think part of it was that i was just having a bad evening. I got informed at stupid o'clock when the OH finally made it to bed that he did not love her more than me, as he'd overheard me telling her that he did and that wasn't even saying much :lol:

Back