• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help, was this gas??

I was very worried about Pixie last night. She was runing around and eating as usual then all of a sudden she started to put her belly to the floor and was really unsettled and didn't want to eat anything (most unlike her). I took her out of the run and checked her over. I noticed her belly was a bit harder than usual but with no girgilling noises. She was not really doppy though just not herself. I put her back in her hutch with lots of fresh hay and treats but she didn't want anything - off to the shed to get the pet carrier as I always over react with things like this and wiz anything ill to the vet. Just as I got everything ready she started eating:roll: just a piece of hay so I thought I try her old fav a bit of apple and she gobbled it up with no problem. She then did a few poos (not as many as usual though) but didn't drink so I soaked some dandilions and she enjoyed those. She seemed much better this morning and had a lovely long drink to and ate all her breki - even pinching her husbuns! Do you think she is over the worst and do you think it was gas?? I'm at work today but my mother -in -law is going to pop round every couple of hours to check on her for me. I can easily leave work and take her to the vet if she's bad again. Poor little bun, is usually so full of beans and it was so sad to see her looking unwell.

It does SOUND like it could have been gas, I would just keep a very close eye on her and ensure she is eating and drinking and pooping enough. Any more tummy pressing then I would take her to the vets no matter what.

It does SOUND like it could have been gas, I would just keep a very close eye on her and ensure she is eating and drinking and pooping enough. Any more tummy pressing then I would take her to the vets no matter what.

Think im going to give up posting on help threads, you always beat me to it whilst im writing my post... :lol:

As usual this forum to the rescue :D I'll keep a very close eye on her and keep the pet carrier near by. My vet is very good and has 24 hour service so I can take her anytime. I'm going to call the vet today just to let them know and to make a note on their records about it just in case. Thanks again for your replies, hopefully her tummy will settle down and she can enjoy a nice weekend. :wave:

Glad that Pixie seems much better. I agree with the others, it sounds like gas which has passed now (no pun intended!). Just keep monitoring her and checking that she's pooing normally, and eating and drinking. :)

Back