• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this possible, can a rabbit fall two storeys and be ok??

Janey

Warren Veteran
I've recently had to move back to my Mum and Dad's so am currently living in my old bedroom in the loft conversion. My bunnys Poppy and Peter live two large dog crates put together but have the run of my room and bathroom a lot of the time plus a run in the garden for sunny days.

Anyway, above their cage is a velux window in the roof, when I first moved in Peter climbed from my bed onto the top of the cage and I saw him poised to jump out the velux, from that point onwards I only have it open when they are locked in the cage.

Two weeks ago I was going on holiday with my friend (Mum was rabbit sitting), in the morning we were getting ready to leave for the airport (my friend stayed the night), it was a bit hectic but after going dowstairs for breakfast for about 45mins we came back upstairs, Peter always comes running to me but he didn't, the first thing I noticed was that in the excitement of the morning I had forgotten to close the window before I let the bunnys out. I panicked and pulled my room to bits in 30secs but he wasn't there. I ran down two flights of stairs to the drive fully expecting him to be dead on the drive but nothing. I looked under cars up and down the road but nothing. Went back inside, everyone was looking for him, def not in the house (I close the bedroom door when I leave the room). So I go back outside and guess who I sould find sitting on next doors drive....Peter. He hid under next doors car until my Mum came with a spring green leaf and his tummy got the better of him and I grabbed him.

It was awful having to go on holiday stright away not knowing if he had any internal injuries but over two weeks later he has been absolutely fine.

So, does this even seem possible to anyone? If he did fall from the window it was two floors onto gravel. The only other possibility is that I left my bedroom door open (which I close religiously) and he went down two flights of stairs (in my old flat he could have gone downstairs whenever he wanted but NEVER chose to even go one step) and then ran out the front door while my Mum put the bins out without her seeing. Also Poppy always follows him and would be more likely to go down stairs than him so if this happened I think it would have been both of them making the big escape.

I am just so grateful he is ok, I would have never forgiven myself if it had turned out any other way, such an irresponsible bunny Mummy!!

Back