• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Today's Bunny Forage....

Blackberry & Co

Wise Old Thumper
Today I went out twice for a Bramble Ramble.

First time out I git a huge basket full of bramble leaves and raspberry canes and leaves (and a couple of canes with roots on again to plant in the garden :lol:)

Second time out I got some more brambles, some wild rose leaves, lots of small branches full of leaves off some crab apple trees.....oh, and some blackberries for us humans :lol:

Anyone else get anything good today?

I feel soooooo guilty! :oops:Haven't ventured beyond the garden. My poor Spenser is getting soooooo fed up with spring greens from the supermarket. :evil: I tried him with a leaf from our apple tree but he only took a polite nibble before rather rudely dropping it in poo corner. :roll: We have mint in the garden, but I don't know if it is the type you can give to rabbits. It's growing between the slabs by the hutch!

I feel soooooo guilty! :oops:Haven't ventured beyond the garden. My poor Spenser is getting soooooo fed up with spring greens from the supermarket. :evil: I tried him with a leaf from our apple tree but he only took a polite nibble before rather rudely dropping it in poo corner. :roll: We have mint in the garden, but I don't know if it is the type you can give to rabbits. It's growing between the slabs by the hutch!

I think any mint is ok, just introduce it very gradually as it's quite strong.

I sat by the aviary picking any duff leaves off the apple branches, and Blackberry sat there pulling them into the run when I wasn't looking, despite the fact I'd given them all nice fresh leaves :roll:

Oh yes! I also went out twice for a ramble too .....

After lunch and my drum lesson I managed to find a very nice milky coffee and a brownie with hazel nuts in it, dusted with iceing sugar. Then this evening I found a lovely latte with a cherry/nutty/raisiney/cakey bun - this one was bought for me - it tasted the nicest!!

I'm such a Weeble!! (Oops - showing my age again!! :shock::oops:)

Oh yes! I also went out twice for a ramble too .....

After lunch and my drum lesson I managed to find a very nice milky coffee and a brownie with hazel nuts in it, dusted with iceing sugar. Then this evening I found a lovely latte with a cherry/nutty/raisiney/cakey bun - this one was bought for me - it tasted the nicest!!

I'm such a Weeble!! (Oops - showing my age again!! :shock::oops:)

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

I think any mint is ok, just introduce it very gradually as it's quite strong.

I sat by the aviary picking any duff leaves off the apple branches, and Blackberry sat there pulling them into the run when I wasn't looking, despite the fact I'd given them all nice fresh leaves :roll:

I read that pennyroyal mint wasn't good for buns, but how is someone who once confused strawberry and tomato plants supposed to distinguish between different mints???? :oops::oops: As to strong flavours, Spenser went in a day long huff when I tried him with basil. Wouldn't go near his dish until I had removed the offending leaves. :roll:

I read that pennyroyal mint wasn't good for buns, but how is someone who once confused strawberry and tomato plants supposed to distinguish between different mints???? :oops::oops: As to strong flavours, Spenser went in a day long huff when I tried him with basil. Wouldn't go near his dish until I had removed the offending leaves. :roll:

I read that too so I buy mint for them from Asda - it's just called British Garden mint. Rabbits love it - they get about 1 or 2 sprigs per day. They don't like the stalks but the piggies eat those - like sharoots!! :lol:

Hmmm....yes, probably a good idea to buy mint :lol: You could get a pot from a garden centre to plant out - it would soon spread.

I haven't been foraging today, and I can't find any available apple trees, see lots of willow trees but they're in people's gardens :roll:...gonna turn into the midnight picker :lol: we have no sun so I can't dry them either :roll:

BUT yesterday I did go to Bury market and finally found mooooosive bunches of celery with all the leaves attached, been searching everywhere, then an overgrown bunch of carrot tops :shock: when I went back to pick them up other customers had asked for leaves off so she put them in my bag :D:D and got a big bunch of flatleaf parsley all for £2.10 :D

Oh tell a lie I did go out.... for a lush very green bale of hay :D

Hmmm....yes, probably a good idea to buy mint :lol: You could get a pot from a garden centre to plant out - it would soon spread.

I had thought of this and looked but I'm that afraid of buying the wrong one I chickened out. Mint is dear though for all you get 75p for an ickle pot - only lasts about 4 days then theres the basil too - tried to grow basil but it seems tricky - it all died. Do you need to grow it inside? I suppose you have a warmer climate in the south though - it's never that warm over here!! :evil:

I had thought of this and looked but I'm that afraid of buying the wrong one I chickened out. Mint is dear though for all you get 75p for an ickle pot - only lasts about 4 days then theres the basil too - tried to grow basil but it seems tricky - it all died. Do you need to grow it inside? I suppose you have a warmer climate in the south though - it's never that warm over here!! :evil:

I buy the pots of basil from the supermarket, pick the leaves off over 3 r 4 days for the boys, then let them pick the rest of the leaves themselves by putting the pot in the run. Then, when there's just the bare stalks left I pop the pot in a plastic mini greenhouse and wait for them to sprout again. Same with parsely. Seems to work quite well so far!

I haven't been foraging today, and I can't find any available apple trees, see lots of willow trees but they're in people's gardens :roll:...gonna turn into the midnight picker :lol: we have no sun so I can't dry them either :roll:

BUT yesterday I did go to Bury market and finally found mooooosive bunches of celery with all the leaves attached, been searching everywhere, then an overgrown bunch of carrot tops :shock: when I went back to pick them up other customers had asked for leaves off so she put them in my bag :D:D and got a big bunch of flatleaf parsley all for £2.10 :D

Oooh - green hay.....jealous!!!!!

I buy the pots of basil from the supermarket, pick the leaves off over 3 r 4 days for the boys, then let them pick the rest of the leaves themselves by putting the pot in the run. Then, when there's just the bare stalks left I pop the pot in a plastic mini greenhouse and wait for them to sprout again. Same with parsely. Seems to work quite well so far!

What??!!! WHAT!!!??? they sprout again????? There's me feeding them to the piggies and the stalks sprout again!!!!! :shock:

I was REALLY excited when I saw them...he showed me them in the back of the shop compared to the other bales, fresh this year and all for £4 each :p

I'd love to get a nice bale of green hay for mine. Don't know where I would get one.

Back