• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent advice about one of the wee ones ......

Collielover

Mama Doe
On Monday evenning we found one of the babies had tried to climb up the run and got his her leg stuck in the chickwire . Chick wire has all now been replace with mesh

She was seen by the vet and was x-rayed .No bones were broken but he thinks she has nerve damage ..Said to leae it too see if she gets any feeling back in it ..Sent her home on pain killers and Antibotics .
We put her back in with Mum and her litter mates they live in a 6 by 4 shed with a attached aviary run .

Well she is dragging her leg all the time is not putting any weight on it ..Her litter mates keep gromming her .I felt yesterday the were over grooming her in the injurgy area ans took her out and put her in a seprate hutch . She is eatting and drinking ect fine .

Do I keep her away from her litter mate and mum or do you think she is better with them . I feel that there all bouncing about all the time and scared she gets hurt even more .

I am pulled 2 ways what to do ...Do you think she will ever get the use of her leg back or what ..

Sorry for the long post

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the little one.

I keep forgetting how old they are :oops:. Is it 5 or 6 weeks now?

Sorry to hear this Debbie :(

I'm really not sure what advice to offer; I'm not sure what I would do to be honest. Hopefully someone who has experienced this type of thing will be able to be of more help.

Sending vibes for the little one. x

thanks you 2 ..Im just lost what to do for the best for her ..Do I seeparte her or not from the rest . Confind her to a smaller place . To let the leg heel better or what :cry:

I would confine her if she was older, but really not sure given her age.

Are the painkillers anti-inflammatories?

I do know that nerve damage can take weeks or months to heal, if it's going to. Would think her leg would be at risk in the meantime if it got caught in something (if she has limited feeling in it), or if it got injured from her dragging it.

Give me a shout if you need anything.

shes on metacam and baytril ...I know what you mean ..Going to give vet a call tomorrow again .He is going to start charging me for phone talks soon.Thanks for theoffer hun .I just feel so sorry for her as she was the one who was into everything seeing the rest bouncing about today and her just sitting there got to me

I'd definitely confine her! She needs rest. :) Hopefully it's just soft tissue damage, and not nerves. (There's no way of telling without an MRI) If it is soft tissue then it should get better with rest and metacam. If it's nerves then it's unlikely to get better and you might want to think about amputation.

I think she is still too young to be separated but it is not good that she is dragging the leg about either because she could end up doing more damage to it. Does the vet think it would help to bandage the leg so it is supported a bit? I know of a young baby bun that broke his leg. His leg was bandaged up for a few weeks but he was allowed to stay with his family and he healed up fine.

ok I have brought her inside to a smaller cage. The vet feels she needs to rest the leg more also . Spoke to him on the phone have a appointment tomorrow to see him also. He is going to talk to the other vets in the practice to see what they think .I think she has feeling from the knee joint up myself .But Im scared she is going to copy her sidlings and try to climb on things like they are at the moment. She used to be into everything and i feel she has lost a little of her spark so can I have healing vides for this wee one please as she has a long jorney ahead of her

Lots of healing vibes being sent for your little one. xx

At least if she is inside and on her own she will get more chance to rest her leg. Hope she's on the road to recovery very soon.

thanks hun ..I feel so bad about this wee one I hae done nothing but cry the past few days I blame myself ..Give our boys a hug for me please

thanks hun ..I feel so bad about this wee one I hae done nothing but cry the past few days I blame myself ..Give our boys a hug for me please
Aww :( try not to blame yourself - these things happen. You have done so much for so many bunnies and given them a great start in life. I'm sure the wee one will be OK with the right care. xx

so sorry to hear about your wee one! thay were all doing so well, thay are such a worry arnt thay, i think you've done the right thing seperating him/her at least he/she can converless in peace. sending loads of healing vibes.:)

Just thought I would update this today about Ava as we have called her

She has began to put weight on the leg its still not a 100% but its getting there slowly we gave her a run about in the hall for mins today as he has been confinded to her cage for a few days . She really enjoed it trie to do a few blinkies but ouldn;t get lift of right but she is trying thats the main thing

Thanks for your vibes

So glad she's a bit better, and happier by the sounds of it. Floppy can't always manage binkys either, but he does try.

Let's hope she continues to get better :love::love::love:

Hubby says I am wasting her she is now in the bedroom where I spend most of evenning watching tv in so she can snuggle up on the bed with me heheh anything for bunny hugs

Back