• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh Noes! He's a Girl!

NinjaBunneh

Warren Scout
I've two three month olds and have just found out that they aren't both boys afterall...

Titus von Lion is actually a Titania...

Yeah going to be a logistical nightmare... Vet reckons boy bunneh should be ok to be neutered fairly soon though... Girly Titus is a bit young yet

Gulp! :shock: At least you've found out before Titania has a litter. Hope you manage to sort out suitable accomodation in the meantime. :wave:

Yeah going to be a logistical nightmare... Vet reckons boy bunneh should be ok to be neutered fairly soon though... Girly Titus is a bit young yet

I'm sure you know this, but you have to keep them apart for like, 3 months (someone support or deny this, I'm not sure on the exact times frame) after he is spayed, as a few swimmers stay kicking about :shock:

Everything I've seen previously said a couple of weeks after, not 3 whole months. Some opinions on this would be most welcome!

I think i've worked out how to seperate them, keeping a supervised playtime so they don't get lonely or un-bond. They are a good pair with a close bond (step-kittens) so I'd like not to mess anything up. Just when they've gotten settled too...

Oh no how frustrating for you!

Hopefully it should literally be a week or two before you can get him neutered - they can be done as soon as their testicles appear, which is usually around the 12 week mark.

In the meantime, please don't even let them have supervised playtimes. I know it is heartbreaking, but it literally takes a couple of seconds for buns to mate successfully, so there is an extremely high chance that she would get pregnant even with you watching their 'play'. If she did get pregnant then you would need to separate them for 8+ weeks (longer if they had a litter and she got pregnant again before you even found the litter) which would be a whole lot worse than just a few weeks now.

The general advice is that males should be separated from unneutered females for 6 weeks after their neuter, to give time to ensure that they are sterile and to let hormones die down. However, if he is neutered as soon as his bits drop (so check daily, and ring and get him booked in as soon as you find them!) then you may find that you are able to reintroduce them after a couple of weeks. 2 weeks always used to be the advice, then it started to grow to 3, then 4, then 6. It is erring on the side of caution which in most circumstances is sensible but as you have an existing bond to think about, I personally would suggest that around 3 weeks would be reasonably safe.

Good luck xx

ok think im going to rearrange their cage so they have two seperate bit side by side so they can communicate and stay together with minimal loss of bond. Think now the minor panic has died down I'm getting a better idea of what I'm going to have to do.

Any particular age they should be seperated from or just asap?

Now, sadly. They can be fertile at 12 weeks so they need to be separated immediately :( I know it must seem really sad and a very hard thing to have to do, but hopefully it is only temporary and sadly is for the long-term best right now xx

yeah i've knida accepted theres a certain amount of practicality and tough love has to go with being Hoomin Papa. Just have to do what is best for them and take time and patience to get it right for the long term.

Back