• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blind buuny Cataracts in both eyes any advice?

Stephanie Cutler

Warren Scout
Howdy I could do with some advice about cataracts in bunnies. This is the first time we have come across them in our rescues. I have searched on google and many of the blogs or articles have come from America. They talk about removing the cataracts or removing and replacing the lens. Has anyone experienced this problem? Our vets is closed now so will make an appointment in the morning he seems comfortable enough for tonight. xx

there are lots of bunnies on here who are partially blind for various reasons and some totally blind. It is helpful if they have a partner bunny who is fully sighted.

My daughter bunlover, has a partially sighted bunny, Coco, who manages perfectly well with his partner Kitty.

I don't know of operations to remove cataracts but maybe others can help.
:wave:-sue

do pm bunlover as she has also had experience of a blind bunny and may know which others you could pm.

i have a blind bun and she gets along just fine, in fact shes more chilled out now, the vets i use said they dont operate because its pointless.i just make sure everything stays the same, her two minders:lol: look after her,she the black one in my siggie:D

This is 10 year old Chloe who is completely blind due to bilateral cataracts

023-3.jpg

She copes very well and as her problems began at the age of 9 there is no way I would put her through Surgery.

How old is the Bunny and does h/she have bilateral cataracts ?

If the Bun is young I'd consider the possibility of EC involvement. EC can effect the lens of the eyes resulting in cataracts.

Its both eyes and looks almost crystaline. Off to the vets tomorrow i dnt feel that there is a need to go to the out of hours vet because he is eating hapily and hopping. EC has caused some of our other bunnies problems in the past such as head tilt and paralysis of the back legs so it wouldnt suprise me if it was EC related. Ihave read also about two types of ulcer but they just dont look like any eye related ulcers i have seen befor. I will have to wait and see what the vet says but our bunny vet is away on holiday- how inconsiderate of him! lol x

Back