• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We're getting there...i think

newbielou

Young Bun
After lots of searching and help from various members on here I have finally got playhouse that is going to be delivered saturday morning. It is from a reclaim yard and a very good size. The only thing is it comes without a floor :?. Its the only one they had left and for the price I paid I really cant complain. I was going to put the playhouse on paving slabs anyway so will this be secure enough or do I need to do anything else?

I also bought 10metres of chicken wire while I was there so I can make a large run to add on to the playhouse.
The playhouse is 70.5x44inches and will also have an extra level pu tin the back so the bunnies will have maximum amount of space. The run will be 2x1metres and they will have access to it 24-7 provided I can make it secure enough.. Will this be enough space or do I have to make the run larger? I will use the chicken wire on all six sides and just cut the hole for the catflap.

There are 2 bunnies to be housed in this accomodation, they are just 10 weeks old.
Does this all sound ok?

Hi, welcome to RU! :wave:

A playhouse is a great idea! You could even add some low shelves to add a little more space. I'd say in summer a floorless one is fine, but come October the stone floor will make it very cold at night. What were you going to line it with? You will need to have several layers of blankets, vet bed, or a thick covering of straw to keep them warm enough throughout the winter.

As for the run, while 1x2 meters is more than a lot of bunnies get, as big as possible is best. How big will your buns grow? Is the garden secure and safe enough for supervised free ranging? If not, and the run is going to be their only outdoor space, I'd say 2x2.5 metres should be the minimum. That is just my own opinion though! Unfortuantely, chicken wire is not suitable for a rabbit run, as buns can chew through it and escape. Weld mesh is recommended as it's so strong. You'll need to bury it underneath the grass too (unless the run is on pavings too) to stop them digging out.

I would also agree you need to make some sort of floor.. you can buy treated batons and maybe some outdoor plywood to make a floor? Also agree chicken wire is not strong enough... BUT its great you have got the playhouse at a good price :D

Hi, just to let you know we decided against using the chicken wire after advice on another post.

My garden is unsuitable for free ranging really as I have an over excited jack russell and although I feel I can trust him I really wouldnt want to take the chance.

The only way we can get a bigger run in is if we rearrange the garden, although it could be a possibility of putting the run down the side and along the front of the house so the side run would be3x6 feet and the front extension another 4x8 so this would increase the square footage a great deal, just hope my DIY skills are upto all these modifications.

As far as the floor goes I am going to put one in, im going to cut a tarpaulin to size and staple around the edge and then fit a large cut to size piece of plywood to fit, then either lay lino or perhaps laminated flooring. I have lots of old carpet tiles etc which I can use for insulation beneath the tarp/wood layer if necessary.

Thank you both for your responses, my bunnies will think they're staying at the hilton by the time i'm finished.

Amy

Back