• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Inbred Babies

EGttns

New Kit
Hi

I came home from work yesterday to see my rabbit had had babies. (We didn't know she was pregnant!) We tried to prevent it, we separated the two rabbits as soon as we noticed the male sniffing around her a lot, and he was neutered approx. a week and a half ago...so we obviously didn't catch him in time!

The problem is, they're brother and sister. :? The babies all look fine at the moment. Does anyone have any experience of what the babies could turn out like? I've heard all sorts of horror stories about deformation/illnesses.

Thanks

:bunny:Emma
:bunny:

Hi

I came home from work yesterday to see my rabbit had had babies. (We didn't know she was pregnant!) We tried to prevent it, we separated the two rabbits as soon as we noticed the male sniffing around her a lot, and he was neutered approx. a week and a half ago...so we obviously didn't catch him in time!

The problem is, they're brother and sister. :? The babies all look fine at the moment. Does anyone have any experience of what the babies could turn out like? I've heard all sorts of horror stories about deformation/illnesses.

Thanks

:bunny:Emma
:bunny:

i didnt think inbreeding mattered in buns?

I'm not sure. But some websites say it's fine, othes say it's completely not ok, and the babies will end up having this, or this, or this, or this.... [list goes on]..! :cry: I hope they turn out ok.

I think inbreeding "matters" in all species.

Whilst it is not ideal its happened and you will have to just wait and see. I think there is every chance they will be perfectly "normal".

Is the male separated now? If he wasn't when the doe gave birth there is every chance she will be pregnant again as he could still be fertile 6 weeks after his neuter and she is able to conceive again almost immediatley after the birth.

The male is separated, yes. He's still separated since his neutering...although the vets told us they should be fine to go back together after a month... maybe I should leave it longer if you've heard otherwise! :?

This litter was a shock enough, we most definitely don't want any more surprises!

i cant be sure but i think my Pearl came from an inbred litter, the fact they couldnt sell a rare satin back to the petshop they came from yells at brother and sister breeding to me :cry::cry::cry::cry:

only Hopper Haven can confirm if my suspicions are right ofcourse as thats who took in the unsellable litter

Pearl died before her 3rd birthday with an enlarged heart. her brother died during his Op and i suspect it was his heart, her sister died a few months before she did. not sure what the problem was but i guess heart again, a litter destined not to live it seems :cry::cry:

hope your babies dont have any nasty complications from this inbreeding :cry: good luck with them xxx

My penny came from inbread rabbits, and she is and always has been a perfectly healthy bunny...touches wood.:wave:

Well that's a good thing anyway.

As the doe has a litter now you will need to keep them separate until they are weaned and rehomed and then reintroduce them on neutral territory. (can't spell today!)

It would be best to have the female neutered too as it will not only protect her from uterine cancer but enable her to get along better with her partner.

Take a look around the forum, using the search facility, and you will find much advice regarding care of mum and babies - there have been many surprise RU litters!

My penny came from inbread rabbits, and she is and always has been a perfectly healthy bunny...touches wood.:wave:

That's very good to know! :) I don't want to be responsible for rehoming the babies and them having to go through terrible illnesses, and piles of vet bills or anything!

Thanks for the top Dustyrabbit, I will have a look around for advice. :)

Inbreeding can cause all sorts of problems, especially as it can amplify any genetic problems - since both parents will be passing on the 'bad gene'. I think breeders will actually breed mother to son etc, but not usually siblings to each other (although I'm not sure I'd want to breed any related buns)

It's not an ideal situation, but hopefully all will turn out well for these babies. :love:

just to add even if Pearl was inbred i wouldn't unwish her life for one second. she was such a precious soul :love::love::love::love:

enjoy your babies and try not to worry.... *demands pics*

just to add even if Pearl was inbred i wouldn't unwish her life for one second. she was such a precious soul :love::love::love::love:

enjoy your babies and try not to worry.... *demands pics*

I just wouldn't want to see any of them suffer :(

I will put a pic or two up when I can... Don't want to disturb them too much as they were only born yesterday. :)

Similar happened to me and there were 5 babies. 3 died randomly at about 4 weeks despite ours and our vets very best efforts and the other 2 were dead before they reached 12 months. :cry: Sorry it's not a positive tale :oops:

If the parents don't have genetic issues, the babies will be fine. But if they do, since they are related, any problem will be amplified. There is also the chance of hidden problems surfacing i.e. an illness depending on a recessive gene.
All you can do is hope the babies are healthy and watch out for any early sign of problems.

Back