• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Letting my bunnies in the house

FudgeTort

Wise Old Thumper
I have my bunnies outside in an 8x6 shed with permanent access to an 8x6 run, unfortunately though, they cant free range at the moment since we need to secure the garden properly, its all open at the minute.

I was thinking of letting them in the house for a couple of hours or so, just to give them a bit of a change, and encourage them to get a bit more exercise and prevent boredom exploring, what does everyone thing, is this a bad idea?

Laura x

In this weather it is fine but its not a good idea in winter as the temperature change between being inside and out is too harse.

I'm sure they would love it, you may never want to put them back outside again though!

My boys are outside buns and during the warmer months ours always come in for a play of an evening.
They loves it, we usually have an hours worth of binkying and running around like mad men and then half an hours nap!
And, yes you are right you won't want to put them back out again!

The only issue i can foresee is the bunny-proofing. As a house rabbit owner, i know first hand how important this is!:lol:

Other wise, the temperature is the only other thing to be concerned about as someone else has already mentioned.

You won't want them back outside though...!:lol:

My little bun comes in most days for a bit of a run round... the OH has been building a run for weeks, and somehow still hasn't finished it. The garden isn't safe to let her loose on her own and as i suffer from the cold easily, i don't always want to stand out with her. Can't say i want her living in the house though :lol: It doesn't seem to matter how much i do to bunny proof the house, she still mananges to find a way round it.

We have 2 sofas in our living room, one of which has loads of wires behind it. I blocked off both ends, so she went under it. I used the side of the unfinshed run to cover the front of the sofa and that seemed to work, until she managed to squeeze through a tiny gap behind the other sofa... pushed that back against the wall... she somehow got round the run side... i finally managed to get that blocked and what did she do? Climb over the top of the run side! Its tall enough that i can't step over it when its upright, but after lots of scrabbling, which i took for chewing the wires, i turned round to find her sat on the other side on the sofa.

My little bun comes in most days for a bit of a run round... the OH has been building a run for weeks, and somehow still hasn't finished it. The garden isn't safe to let her loose on her own and as i suffer from the cold easily, i don't always want to stand out with her. Can't say i want her living in the house though :lol: It doesn't seem to matter how much i do to bunny proof the house, she still mananges to find a way round it.

We have 2 sofas in our living room, one of which has loads of wires behind it. I blocked off both ends, so she went under it. I used the side of the unfinshed run to cover the front of the sofa and that seemed to work, until she managed to squeeze through a tiny gap behind the other sofa... pushed that back against the wall... she somehow got round the run side... i finally managed to get that blocked and what did she do? Climb over the top of the run side! Its tall enough that i can't step over it when its upright, but after lots of scrabbling, which i took for chewing the wires, i turned round to find her sat on the other side on the sofa.

:lol: Gotta love their determination!

Mine are outdoor buns and they really don't like being inside. They don't like the wooden floors and even when they are on the rugs they are obviously not happy - they don't move much, but they thump and grunt to let me know they aren't happy.
If we had carpet down it might be different but I'm not convinced - I think they are outdoor buns through and through.
Good luck with yours!!! :lol:

Back