• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i know i should do a search but

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
im such a lazy tart i cant be bothered :oops::oops::oops:

people with hutches..... what is the makeup of inside, ie how are they lined to stop rabbit pee?

i think stes mom uses wood stuff and as soon as i take over care ill be using a litter tray with just hay and newspaper.. but what goes in the rest of the hutch :?:?

house bunnies are sooooooo much easier :D

Mine are lined with lino or the wood is varnished, then I put some cheap washable rugs from IKEA down, then the litter trays on top of that.

I prefer rugs to just lino because it's less slippy and any stray wee soaks away rather than sitting on the lino in a puddle.

Mine are lined with lino or the wood is varnished, then I put some cheap washable rugs from IKEA down, then the litter trays on top of that.

I prefer rugs to just lino because it's less slippy and any stray wee soaks away rather than sitting on the lino in a puddle.

can any varnish be used? i like the idea of rugs or even towels would do :D:D

BTW my wildies like to make little sleeping nests in their hay, so I stuff the entire bottom floor of their hutch with hay...they are very good about not peeing on it.

can any varnish be used? i like the idea of rugs or even towels would do :D:D

I use yacht or exterior varnish.

Rugs can be problematic...you don't want anything that will cause a lot of friction and lead to sore hocks. You also don't want anything that has long woven fibres that can be pulled out and ingested. Something like a rag-rug is ideal.

I intend to have a litter tray on the bottom level and the rest of the hutch covered with straw first and a bit of hay on top. Edible hay in baskets one near the litter tray and one upstairs clipped on the mesh.:wave:

Oh in the bedroom hay hay and more hay.

All our hutches and playhouses have lino tiles down and then are completely covered in newspaper and thick layers of hay. Probably why we get through 3 bales a week :)

We put newspaper, lino tiles, more newspaper then towels on top. In bed - no towels but lots of hay. Litter tray in bottom corner with megazorb and pile of hay to munch whilst doing their business!:)

I've got wet-room flooring in my hutch, or my rabbits hutch, I should say, which is like lino and is non-slip. I used to use finacard in one end of the hutch and hay in the other, then more hay upstairs, with megazorb in the litter tray. However, they are now unlitter training themselves so now they have plain floors downstairs, with the litter tray in one corner, and hay in a half-moon hanging basket at the other!

They are still pooping all the over the place though :roll:

They took to the litter tray so well all those months ago - I feel I was lulled into a false sense of security :(

xxx

Lino tiles, lot's of newspaper then hay. Larmee has the bottom of a guinea pig cage (the tray bit) in his sleeping area full of hay. He has a litter tray but refuses to use it. He throws it around alot :lol: He does only pee and poop in one area though, so I just put extra paper there.

I have a litter tray in the run, but the hutches are just full of hay, with newspaper in the corner they use when they can't be bothered to go downstairs to the loo

Twin and Patricks hutch is lined with lino which has plastic around the edges so they cant dig it up. They have litter boxes but they dont use them :roll:

I laid newspaper all over the plastic base of the hutch - then covered in aubiose (mine started eating carefresh & couldnt find megazorb -but similar so think they would eat that too!)....then litter tray with hay rack above.
In the litter tray I put newspaper & aubiose...and hay..

I thought it would be all cosy with aubiose all over...they loved diggin in it & snuggling down...problem was though when they got confused about whether they had to use the actual litter tray or any ol place as it all looked the same!:lol::roll:

After spending ages cleaning their hutch out - relaying newspaper & relaying the un-used aubiose - i decided to change it - they now have aubiose in the top of their hutch bedroom areas - about 5cm in depth....no newspaper undeneath - as much as they love to rip it all up & dig like mad - its easy to clean as i just scoop up the wet patches - if any & chuck that away. With newspaper underneath it tends to spread & just gets damp all over. The aubiose lets the wee go through it and forms a bundle so the top where they sit is always dry. i juct chuck the aubiose on the vege patch or compost bin.

Downstairs i now just lay newspaper...they seem to like that - they dont slip & sometimes will lie uder it on the plastic base.
I also put a handful of aubiose under the water bottle so if they drip it doesnt seep all over the newspaper.

Easy to just replace the newspaper & then reline the litter tray. Scoop out damp patches in the upstairs.

I do put hay in bundles here & there if they want to lay on it or eat to or dig in it....but its now easier to clean - so more time to play with them & also they seem to like it!

Phew....loooong post!:oops::D

You might need to try a few ideas and see what suits. ;)

When A & B were in a hutch, the floor and walls were covered with vinyl tiles so easy to clean. They were slightly textured, so not as slippy as the totally smooth ones.

In summer the floor was bare, with plenty of hay-filled litter trays for toilet and eating purposes.

I tried fleece blankets but Bubbles peed on them. :lol: Also, I used to line the whole hutch floor with newspaper and hay in winter but that meant Bubbles decided to pee everywhere so it was hard work keeping it clean. :roll::roll:

Donna when I had mine outside I lined it with vinyl floor stuff (offcuts cheap from flooring shops) and sealed round the edges with bathroom sealant so no pee could get through.

I had a litter tray with megazorb topped with hay in one end, and a cardboard box stuffed with straw in the other, so they could snuggle inside to keep warm.

ETA actually I've just remembered there was a 2" layer of foam, then the vinyl on top. To make a squishy surface to alleviate Poppy's sore hocks :)

Back