• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunnies and Bonfire smoke!!!

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
Last night for the first time ever my next door neighbour decided to burn his confidential waste paper in his garden by the fence where my buns are and there was smoke all around - even permeating my house as it does! I covered them all over and went round to express my concerns and they stopped. The guy thinks I now have an issue and thinks he should be able to do this every once in a while in his own garden - I said my only concern was for the welfare of my buns and the smoke - anyone got any views please??

I would say it would be nice if he could warn you when he is next about to do it, giving you time to get your bunnies to safety (inside the house).

He has a right I suppose to do this, but to be neighbourly, he should warn you.

Yes, I think if you just ask him to warn you so that you can make sure the buns are inside it will keep things friendly.

He's probably a bit miffed that he didn't think of the buns being affected -people often get a bit short tempered when they realise they've been inconsiderate as they're embarrassed by it.

I think by law now you are supposed to be considerate about fires, does he not have anywhere other that the other side of the fence to your rabbits to burn the paper? If not then I would suggest he doesn't have a big enough garden to burn things - if he does it again call the fire brigade and say you were worried about the fence catching light. Maybe not but, it seems reasonable what you have said, he could at least let you know. Have alook on your local council internet site at what the 'local policy' is about fires. It has tightened up in most area's it's classed as air pollution quite rightly. One good thing though at least it gets rid of mosquito's and flies.

Hey!! I took my shredder round but they had almost finished - he said he liked doing it (saddo!) Also I have 9 buns I would have to bring inside might be a prob - would have to buy a load of indoor cages to put them in - how bad is smoke for bunnies - or is that a stoooopid question?:?

Yes, I think if you just ask him to warn you so that you can make sure the buns are inside it will keep things friendly.

He's probably a bit miffed that he didn't think of the buns being affected -people often get a bit short tempered when they realise they've been inconsiderate as they're embarrassed by it.

Yes I agree, pyromaniacs especially :lol:

Do you have pet carriers? Are they in groups or pairs? Could you have a few in carriers, a few in the bath? etc.. somehow get them inside before he does it again?

Interesting will check up on that - I think it's one of those firepits! He's also just had an artic spa put in the garden last week (ditto saddo!!) maybe I should drill through my fence and put a hole in it;);)

I think by law now you are supposed to be considerate about fires, does he not have anywhere other that the other side of the fence to your rabbits to burn the paper? If not then I would suggest he doesn't have a big enough garden to burn things - if he does it again call the fire brigade and say you were worried about the fence catching light. Maybe not but, it seems reasonable what you have said, he could at least let you know. Have alook on your local council internet site at what the 'local policy' is about fires. It has tightened up in most area's it's classed as air pollution quite rightly. One good thing though at least it gets rid of mosquito's and flies.

Hey!! I took my shredder round but they had almost finished - he said he liked doing it (saddo!) Also I have 9 buns I would have to bring inside might be a prob - would have to buy a load of indoor cages to put them in - how bad is smoke for bunnies - or is that a stoooopid question?:?

Very bad if enveloping them, they won't be able to breathe and they only have little lungs and can only breathe through their noses so generally quite torturous for them, well sorry but, fight fire with fire, move your bunnies and put a chimnea next to the fence opposite his fire, when he is having a burn up you do aswell. To protect them drape damp towels/sheets over their hutches/enclosures and if necessary actually fan it away from them, failing that a hosepipe accidentally spraying over the fence might help:p

Interesting will check up on that - I think it's one of those firepits! He's also just had an artic spa put in the garden last week (ditto saddo!!) maybe I should drill through my fence and put a hole in it;);)

Is it your fence? If it is you may have a case for not burning too close to the fence itself even, also firepits uncovered burning paper are not ideal, watch out for sparks or floating bits of paper that are on fire! Sounds like a really intelligent guy :roll:

Or a couple of PAH playpens as an emergency indoor solution against a wall you don't need the whole thing so could probably make a few enclosures with 2 of the 6 panel ones.

Some people do prefer to burn sensitive mail as some criminals just piece the shredded paper together. I would ask him if he would warn me in future, you could report him but then you may find him having lots of barbeques or whatever as people can get very nasty if you report them. I would try to bring the rabbits indoors, you will probably have to bring them in on bonfire night.

Some people do prefer to burn sensitive mail as some criminals just piece the shredded paper together. I would ask him if he would warn me in future, you could report him but then you may find him having lots of barbeques or whatever as people can get very nasty if you report them. I would try to bring the rabbits indoors, you will probably have to bring them in on bonfire night.

They must have a lot of time on their hands :lol: Not disputing what your saying just that, really shredding and then mixing it all up when you empty the bag is generally quite effective, this guy is a pyro in the making I reckon.

Oh god definately, he is going to be the local 'bonfire' champ isn't he and get the biggest bestest fireworks to impress the ladies :roll:

I think it's also a case of boys and their saddo toys!:roll: some more good ideas for trying to bring in a job lot of buns - thank you - I have 2 pens/runs and at least 3 carriers plus a waterproof kitchen floor - it would be difficult but I can be prepared for all eventualities now (I think) he reckons that bit is his fence but I recently 'purchased' my side off neighbours at the back so it is also mine now with the added land(complicated story re boundaries etc) Hope he isn't gonna be a **** over this - he needs to get a grip!!:lol::lol:

I think it's also a case of boys and their saddo toys!:roll: some more good ideas for trying to bring in a job lot of buns - thank you - I have 2 pens/runs and at least 3 carriers plus a waterproof kitchen floor - it would be difficult but I can be prepared for all eventualities now (I think) he reckons that bit is his fence but I recently 'purchased' my side off neighbours at the back so it is also mine now with the added land(complicated story re boundaries etc) Hope he isn't gonna be a **** over this - he needs to get a grip!!:lol::lol:

Wouldn't you just love to hop up on a chair with a fire extinguisher shouting 'fire' don't worry I'm on it - put the fire out and then say Ooops sorry was that supposed to be smoking me and my pets to death:lol::lol:

Even better with a bunny mask on :lol:

You have a wicked sense of humour!!!:D I don't think he has one though, and his missus neither!! I do have bunny ears......

Wouldn't you just love to hop up on a chair with a fire extinguisher shouting 'fire' don't worry I'm on it - put the fire out and then say Ooops sorry was that supposed to be smoking me and my pets to death:lol::lol:

Even better with a bunny mask on :lol:

They must have a lot of time on their hands :lol: Not disputing what your saying just that, really shredding and then mixing it all up when you empty the bag is generally quite effective, this guy is a pyro in the making I reckon.

Oh god definately, he is going to be the local 'bonfire' champ isn't he and get the biggest bestest fireworks to impress the ladies :roll:

I saw some ex-criminals on TV talking about this and they said it's like doing a jigsaw puzzle.

I just use a good shredder and then put the waste paper in with my dog poop and give it a good shake, if they want to play jigsaws with my stuff they can get their hands dirty

Back