• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Corn on the cob...........

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
I've just been told corn on the cob (you know, the dried ones) are bad for buns, is this true?? The item in question came in a treaty basket for buns.... Why have I never heard this before? :(

oh I heard that to somewhere, and yet they are selling it in a lot of shops aren't they?

I got a sort of bun safe paper shaped corn on the cob with rattling bits in, they demolished that the other day so I sure hope its safe, cos I think that it had the dried corns inside it:shock:

I think they are considered unsafe because they are the right size to cause blockages in the gut. I never give them to my bunnies

Oh god, I am really paranoid now.... I only find this out after Rimmi and Winter have demolished half of one between them :(

I think they are considered unsafe because they are the right size to cause blockages in the gut. I never give them to my bunnies

This.

Corn is indigestible and while it's not too much of a problem for us, bunnies tummies can get so easily blocked. I fed Mischa and Mini some before I knew and didn't have problems but they don't have reoccurring tummy issues and I think I was just fortunate. Now I avoid them totally.

This.

Corn is indigestible and while it's not too much of a problem for us, bunnies tummies can get so easily blocked. I fed Mischa and Mini some before I knew and didn't have problems but they don't have reoccurring tummy issues and I think I was just fortunate. Now I avoid them totally.

Rimmi and Winter never have tummy troubles..... and they chewed the bits up, do you think they will be ok?? :cry::cry:

but baby corn is okay, apparently so i was informed yesterday?

Yes that's right, although it is higher in sugar that other veg so should just be a treat really, not something you give evry day. I use baby corn to hide Panacur in!

Rimmi and Winter never have tummy troubles..... and they chewed the bits up, do you think they will be ok?? :cry::cry:

Well Bobs and Carlo chewed the paper one up, and whatever was rattling inside, which I persume was corn, and that was the day before yesterday actually, they are fine, so I would imagine they will be fine my love.

I feel so stoopid for giving it now:oops: But if its sold as a rabbit treat then I wouldn't question it, I will from now on though

Don't feel stupid! I thought it would be safe as they sell them for rabbits as well.... But i drew the line when my boyfriend suggested frozen sweetcorn last night hehe

I suppose its like those sticks that you hang from cages that say they are ok for buns too........so sugary and with seeds in.......the other day I saw a wooden chew with a walnut in......A WALNUT! Why would a bun eat a walnut??

I suppose its like those sticks that you hang from cages that say they are ok for buns too........so sugary and with seeds in.......the other day I saw a wooden chew with a walnut in......A WALNUT! Why would a bun eat a walnut??

I got some for mine, she won't touch it, just gives me a dirty look. Same as with the dental rice treats

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

Corn, fresh or dried, is NOT safe for rabbits. The hull of corn kernels is composed of a complex polysaccharide (not cellulose and pectin, of which plant cell walls are more commonly composed, and which a rabbit can digest) which rabbits cannot digest. We know of more than one rabbit who suffered intestinal impactions because of the indigestible corn hulls. After emergency medical treatment, when the poor rabbits finally passed the corn, their fecal pellets were nearly solid corn hulls! Those rabbits were lucky

Just to put you off on further, apparently the way they are stored, which is inferior to the way human-grade corn is stored, means that they are likely to be covered in mould spores... Tasty!!

Xxx

Just to put you off on further, apparently the way they are stored, which is inferior to the way human-grade corn is stored, means that they are likely to be covered in mould spores... Tasty!!

Xxx

I can't actually understand why PAH for example are selling them, especially as they have a vet employed to oversee 'the product range' :?

Back