• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Drinking tap water

Boots

Mama Doe
Hey everyone, does anyone else live in a hard water area and give their buns tap water?

When you pour a glass straight from the tap it is clear but slightly misty, and when you make a cup of tea residue sits on top. We use a Brita filter kettle and we do have a Brita water jug which my OH uses, but the taste doesn't bother me so I don't use it much.

ANYWAY, enough background info :oops:
so would that water be safe to give every day? My concern is a build up of whatever minerals are in the water in their little systems.

Hey everyone, does anyone else live in a hard water area and give their buns tap water?

When you pour a glass straight from the tap it is clear but slightly misty, and when you make a cup of tea residue sits on top. We use a Brita filter kettle and we do have a Brita water jug which my OH uses, but the taste doesn't bother me so I don't use it much.

so would that water be safe to give every day? My concern is a build up of whatever minerals are in the water in their little systems.

A rule i read in a book i have is;

if you wouldnt drink it yourself, dont give it to your rabbit.

Good rule of thumb i think :)

Funny I was thinking about this recently cos someone posted on another forum about a series of pet deaths in their street which they were linking with the water. Not rabbits, smaller animals.

I give my rabbit water from the tap and we live in a hardwater area. I personally won't drink the water as is, although i will use it in tea... but i also barely drink bottled water and something tells me that bunnies don't like coca-cola.

I give my rabbit water from the tap and we live in a hardwater area. I personally won't drink the water as is, although i will use it in tea... but i also barely drink bottled water and something tells me that bunnies don't like coca-cola.

:lol::lol::lol:

Biccy's tried my cider, scared the **** out of me and i watched him like a hawk for about 2 days after, didnt affect him though, was only licking the empty glass, but he must of tasted it! i forgot i'd left the glass on the floor, this was just after we got him, so i hadn't got used to the good ole phrase;

'if its on the floor, its fair game and the rabbit owns it!'

:)

:lol::lol::lol:

Biccy's tried my cider, scared the **** out of me and i watched him like a hawk for about 2 days after, didnt affect him though, was only licking the empty glass, but he must of tasted it! i forgot i'd left the glass on the floor, this was just after we got him, so i hadn't got used to the good ole phrase;

'if its on the floor, its fair game and the rabbit owns it!'

:)

:shock: Bobby has licked the beer that has been spilt on our floor before I got to it, this was when she was a babba, AND it was Stella:shock:

She has also licked wine :oops: right from the glass, she got up on the table while I was on the phone to my mum, (she does go a bit :roll:) I was petrified for days after

Right really geeky, does the mist clear towards the top or bottom of the glass? If top it's just trapped air..if bottom it's calcium...I honestly wouldn't worry I give hard water to our buns and drink it myself, you won't absorb a great deal of calcium from the water especially if it is already coming out of solution,

A rule i read in a book i have is;

if you wouldnt drink it yourself, dont give it to your rabbit.

Good rule of thumb i think :)

Well that's the thing it doesn't bother me, and it doesn't bother them, they slurp and gurgle like little babies bless them :love:

I just worry when I read other posts about rabbits having too much carrots and then having a build up of calcium etc, that it could be the same with the water?

Funny I was thinking about this recently cos someone posted on another forum about a series of pet deaths in their street which they were linking with the water. Not rabbits, smaller animals.

That could be any number of things, a change in water treatment, disinfection etc...not likely to be down to hard water.

Oh and bottled water (softwater) will also have salts in it..just not calcium...and possibly at higher levels than a water company would put into supply

I know some people whose buns suffer from calcium build up and bladder sludge make an effort to only give filtered water!

Right really geeky, does the mist clear towards the top or bottom of the glass? If top it's just trapped air..if bottom it's calcium...I honestly wouldn't worry I give hard water to our buns and drink it myself, you won't absorb a great deal of calcium from the water especially if it is already coming out of solution,

That's not geeky that's helpful thank you :D

if I'm honest iv never watched it, i'm pouring a glass now though to see. It's the calcium I'm worried about incidentally.

Just poured it and it stays suspended for a while but rises to the top quarter of the glass, then kinda stays there?

That's not geeky that's helpful thank you :D

if I'm honest iv never watched it, i'm pouring a glass now though to see. It's the calcium I'm worried about incidentally.

Just poured it and it stays suspended for a while but rises to the top quarter of the glass, then kinda stays there?

Air...Calcium would clear downwards (settle) perfectly harmless!! Running the tap for a while should clear it!!

I know some people whose buns suffer from calcium build up and bladder sludge make an effort to only give filtered water!

This is me!
The buns have filtered water as Blue had a sludgey bladder caused by calcuim build up. I also use it in the iron but not in the kettle :wave:

Back