• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing

Vicki

Alpha Buck
My two have always had the odd sneeze now and again, but as of late, Harvey has had sudden outbursts of sneezing about 10 times without even taking a breath, this is really worrying me now, I have him booked in to see the vet but I was just wondering if there is anything I can do in the meantime? Could this be really serious or something common? They are both moulting tonnes at the moment, not sure if the excess fur could be bothering him? Anyone have any ideas as im worried about my little man :cry:
Thanks

Grace had spates of doing this, as long as there isnt any snot or noisy breathing i wouldnt be too worried, try and give her a good groom to loosens the fur thats moulting. :) xxxxxxx

Thankyou for bringing this up Vicki!
Jimby also has been known to have the odd sneeze but the past couple of days he has had a few outbursts and I started getting really worried so called the vets, I am not sure if he has a bit of a 'weezing' in his breathing but I think that may be me being paranoid anyway I have booked an appointment for Monday if I am still concerned.
I was told to see how he goes, if he seems happy, eating and pooping as normal and there is no discharge from the nose then it is unlikely to be an infection.

Thankyou for bringing this up Vicki!
Jimby also has been known to have the odd sneeze but the past couple of days he has had a few outbursts and I started getting really worried so called the vets, I am not sure if he has a bit of a 'weezing' in his breathing but I think that may be me being paranoid anyway I have booked an appointment for Monday if I am still concerned.
I was told to see how he goes, if he seems happy, eating and pooping as normal and there is no discharge from the nose then it is unlikely to be an infection.

Not always the case, if infection is in the lower respiratory tract 'dry sneezes' are a symptom. However, with a LRTI the Bun usually has other symptoms such as an increased respiratory rate and/or effort along with a generalised malaise.

In the absence of clinical signs of LRTI, sudden onset sneezing with no discharge could be something as simple as dust, an inhaled particle/piece of hay or something similar like fur, water up the nose, or an acute allergic reaction to something. So try not to worry just yet. Hope the vet app went ok?

Back