• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Probiotics

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
Often people say to use probiotics at the same time as antibiotics.

I don't understand why they don't cancel each other out? Has anyone got a proper scientifical explanation of this, or links to evidence of the benefits?

I don't do scientific explainations :oops::lol:

But in simple terms as I understand it. Antibiotics can kill off the good gut bacteria as well as the bad gut bacteria so probiotics help re-establish the good gut bacteria and stop tummy upsets/stasis.

Now hopefully someone will come along with a much better explaination than that, as mine looks like something they would teach in primary school :lol:

But in simple terms as I understand it. Antibiotics can kill off the good gut bacteria as well as the bad gut bacteria so probiotics help re-establish the good gut bacteria and stop tummy upsets/stasis.

Now hopefully someone will come along with a much better explaination than that, as mine looks like something they would teach in primary school :lol:

Thats exactly how I would have explained it :wave:

Personally never routinely use them with antibiotics, many years ago our great bunny vet said she didn't think probiotics were that much use for bunnies as the acidity in their stomachs killed off the good stuff in the probiotics before it got a chance to do anything :?

I do still use it if a bunny is a bit stressed or a bit off colour. Don't know if it helps but can't do any harm :)

we dont use them at the same time at my practice. On speaking to a bunny savvy vet he said it's much better to use them after the antibiotics are finished to re-establish good bacteria as otherwise the antibiotic just kills all bacteria an dit just costs the client more money.

However thats only what we do at my practice i personally just don't like giving to many things at once would rather give them all one after the other but thats just me i'm sure someone can explain it better

I know what they each do, but I don't understand the instruction to use them both at the same time. ie if you're using probiotics to establish good gut flora - but you're also using antibiotics - then the antibiotics would surely negate any effect of the probiotic. or vice versa.

I only use probiotics myself when I want to get fluid into them, cos they like the taste :lol: I'd be as well using fruit tea really.

Thankyou prettylupin, that's what I was getting at!

It's just one of those things I always hear but nver had any solid evidence for.

Back