• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Extension of hutch - help req?!

Livi

Alpha Buck
I am thinking of extending Pips run so she has a little more space on a daily basis while I am at work.

When I get in she is put into her 7ft x 4ft run – but as it is placed on grass, when it is really soggy out I do opt to keep her in (as I don’t want her getting absolutely filthy & damp etc)….But I am planning on sorting out a base for the run so when its really soggy I can still put her out.

So what I am planning on doing is making a mini extension of her hutch that she has constant access to during the day…However I am restricted by size – so can’t make it any bigger than the following:

Current hutch 6ft x 20 inches deep – 4 foot high (double hutch)
Plan: to add a 3 foot deep extension along the front of her hutch (i.e. 6 foot wide).

I have added a few diagrams to try to help me explain….
Piprunplans.jpg

I would also have a lid on the run with a large hinged lid so i could get into the run to clean it etc.

Now; heres the question….Do I buy panels to put it together myself?! Or shall I take the plunge & put my DIY skills to the test? What would be most cost effective?

Can someone who has made their own run please advise on the sort of mesh I need to buy as I wouldn’t know what strength, gauge etc is suitable.

Also…I would need to bunny proof the base of the run, so plan to put some mesh on the underneath of the run so she cant dig out/nothing can dig in. I don’t really want to put straw down to line it as it gets everywhere – Would a big 6 foot wide stable mat be suitable? something like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOW-PRICED-10...oods_StableAccessories_SM&hash=item20b2cdc385 providing it is a snug fit & Pip cant get round the edges to chew?

Forgot to add - been quoted £62 plus delivery for a run spec of the above...

Last edited:
After all that - I think I am going to buy one made to measure from www.mrbuns.co.uk :lol:

Done a quick RU search & sounds good, people seem happy with his work & his prices seem great. Going to request Weld Mesh instead of chicken wire....Just hope delivery to London isnt too pricey!

Just got to work out the exact spec I require & i think ill be placing an order, plus got to convince parents I need to move Pip to a slightly different section of garden :roll:

**Update** Mr buns cant deliver as far as London....back ro the drawing board! & prep for making my own i think!!

Last edited:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Welded-wire-m...t=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item27b300ad7e

This is the wire I use. I normally pay around £30 - £40 for a 30m roll.
I use tanalised roofing lath to make my runs (approx 1" x 1.5"). I get it from a timber merchant and usually pay around £20 for 12x 8ft lengths - obviously thats far more than you would need....
If you can get the wire for a decent price, you'll save a fortune making the run yourself, and it'll be a bit sturdier than ones bought from a store, as they tend to use 1" x 1" timber.
You can also make it an exact fit to suit your current accommodation.

It would normally take me around 3 hours to make what you've suggested, so if you've got the tools I'd give it a go!

Thank you BB! 3 hours – wow! You must be a pro :) Can you show us some of yours? I love looking at different set ups! Its so exciting…I am dreading making it….but excited at the same time! Does anyone know of a good step by step guide of how to make a run that’s available online? Or any threads on here with a few pointers….I tried to search but I didn’t manage to find any….

Just a few Q’s re Equipment Needed for Making a Run….

I will need to make:
 2 x Sides measuring 3 foot by 2.3ft
 1 x Side measuring 6 foot by 2.3ft
 1 x ‘Lid’ 6 x 3 foot that I can remove when needed or maybe a 6 x 3 foot lid with a large door so I can get in & out….Not decided what would be best yet…

What materials & tools will I need to purchase in order to make my run?

Wood – As Above :) Thank you! Will try my local wood supplies.
Wood treatment – Will this prevent weather damage? What is recommended for use on animal housing?
Welded Mesh – As above :) Thank you!

Now, how to I attach the mesh to the wood? Will I need to use a staple? If so what sort of staple gun do I need to buy?

Sorry if I sound a bit novicy here – lol. But it really is all new to me & I don’t wanna mess up!

I will buy 3 heavy duty hinges for each corner & need to have a browse of a local diy place to find the best mechanism for securing the run to the hutch – that will be very sturdy and safe, but also not too difficult to un-do if need be.

I will probably go too overboard with making sure its secure – but I want to allow Pip access all night, but unless I am OTT secure I wont relax as we do have a fox issue round here! xx

Well, I made this for mine:-

0043-2.jpg

The wood I used was untreated (as its indoors) from Homebase, and cost me £9.99 for 6 x 6ft pieces (needed 2 packs). I bought a pack of angle plates from Screwfix (just under £3.00 - Screwfix a lot cheaper than Wilkinsons for screws, etc.) - these aren't necessary but they make it nice and strong.

My mesh I bought at the garden centre, £5.99 for a Gardman sheet 3x2 wide (Screwfix also sell mesh btw). To fix my panels together I used a hinge on one joint, and the others I used 'eyes' and tent pegs from Robert Dyas (£3 or so for 10), that way I can remove the panels as I wish and open up the run.

You'd need a saw, a drill, some long and short screws, a hammer and some small pin/tack things to nail the mesh to the wood. Think that's about all (an electric screwdriver also makes life much much easier!).

Well, that's how I made mine anyway, and its very satisfying to say look what I made :lol:

Re-reading your post above, you obviously need to secure yours a little more securely than mine, but it may give you some ideas ;) I actually think £62.00 isn't a bad price!

Oh, and it took me a little longer than 3 hours :lol:

Last edited:
Thank you!
I have just looked on screwfix, and actually because of the size of the run I am ‘making’ or should I say aiming to make, it works out cheaper for me to buy the sheets of welded mesh from Screwfix.

6mm Welded Mesh sheets measuring 0.6x0.9m – £21.40 for a pack of 10.
I will just extend the height of the run using wood I think as I did need it approx 0.7m high – but by the time it is framed by the wood etc anyway it will be fine.

So I am hopeful I can get the wood I need for £20 max, then all I need is my mechanisms etc which I hope I can get for under £10 – meaning my run will have cost no more than approx £50 – bargain – plus I will feel really proud of it – once its all made, well I hope I will anyway! lol

Well, I made this for mine:-

0043-2.jpg

The wood I used was untreated (as its indoors) from Homebase, and cost me £9.99 for 6 x 6ft pieces (needed 2 packs). I bought a pack of angle plates from Screwfix (just under £3.00 - Screwfix a lot cheaper than Wilkinsons for screws, etc.) - these aren't necessary but they make it nice and strong.

My mesh I bought at the garden centre, £5.99 for a Gardman sheet 3x2 wide (Screwfix also sell mesh btw). To fix my panels together I used a hinge on one joint, and the others I used 'eyes' and tent pegs from Robert Dyas (£3 or so for 10), that way I can remove the panels as I wish and open up the run.

You'd need a saw, a drill, some long and short screws, a hammer and some small pin/tack things to nail the mesh to the wood. Think that's about all (an electric screwdriver also makes life much much easier!).

Well, that's how I made mine anyway, and its very satisfying to say look what I made :lol:

Re-reading your post above, you obviously need to secure yours a little more securely than mine, but it may give you some ideas ;) I actually think £62.00 isn't a bad price!

Oh, and it took me a little longer than 3 hours :lol:

Didnt know you made Loxxy's run! So jealous, im really bad at DIY :roll:

Didnt know you made Loxxy's run! So jealous, im really bad at DIY :roll:

You could do it I'm sure, its quite fun actually and once you've finished, you keep looking for another project or bits to add on ;)

Glad Screwfix worked out cheap for the mesh - unfortunately, I didn't know they sold it until after I'd already bought my stuff. :(

Look forward to seeing work in progress reports :D

Also, just heard back from my local timber supplier by email re 1 x 1.5inch tanalised roofing laths...

"The price will be £0.50 per LM + VAT and they normally come in 3.0M lengths"

Silly me doesnt understand....Does this mean they are sold in 3m lengths, so each 'piece' if you like would cost £1.50?

Just a quick one - How do I 'staple' the mesh to the wood?Do i need a special style gun?

No, you can use these staples which you bang in (just don't try banging them in on a wood 'knot' as they're tough to get into! They come in different sizes so whatever works best.

Also, just heard back from my local timber supplier by email re 1 x 1.5inch tanalised roofing laths...

"The price will be £0.50 per LM + VAT and they normally come in 3.0M lengths"

Silly me doesnt understand....Does this mean they are sold in 3m lengths, so each 'piece' if you like would cost £1.50?

Well, from what I understand "LM" stands for "linear metre", and they use this term to distinguish it from, say, a square metre. So yes, they'd be £1.50 per 3m length of timber (they could just say that in the first place!). Sounds a very good price to me :D

Example
Product Information
Carcassing timber.
A useful size for fencing and other applications.
Price shown is per linear metre and is including VAT.
(see also 100mm x 100mm fencing posts for treated version).

Price: £3.40 inc. VAT

I'm getting quite good at this carpentry lingo, might have to think of a change of career :lol:

Last edited:
Thanks sooo much Loxxy! Sounds good :) and yes those roof laffs sound very cheap....which is good!!

I think that the hutch extension is a necessity now more than ever, as I really would like to get Pip a friend once she is spayed & recovered....and I am unsure what the spec for homing from the RSPCA is...Guess I should find out first so I can ensure my attatched run will mean we conform!

Oooo its so exciting :D cant wait to get my materials & make a step by step photo diary! I am also planning on redecorating Pips hutch inside too (new purple walls lol)....:love:

:lol: Well I don't think you need very big ones (I don't actually have mine to hand right now :p), its only to secure the wire in place. If you're getting them from Screwfix, maybe go for these? If you read the review it says:-

"the perfect size for most jobs. You don't hit your thumb like you do with smaller ones. Great for hanging chicken wire."

So it must be OK.

Mind you, having looked, they're cheaper here at B&Q (a penny saved is a penny earned and all that!)

Hello :wave: sorry to jump in but I am so pleased you have asked all these questions :D. I have been thinking about extending one of the runs of my hutch and run combo as it just doesnt seem big enough and def isnt tall enough and its been bothering me. You have all inspired me and made it much easier to get started! :lol: the advice is great! you almost make it sound easy :D the runs look so professional I cant believe it!

Thanks Loxxy - Nearly there now! wooo!

Make sure you start a picture thread once you have finished :) and take step by step pics too :D

I am so excited about making mine - but I havent ordered my stuff yet (guess I should esp the mesh as it is selling out fast!)...just wish the rain would stop because I cant quite think my parents are gonna let me start making the run indoors :lol:

Can't wait to see progress!

Just remember, if its to be attached to the front of the hutch, the back panel will have to be made to fit so that the run ends up as square as possible (if that makes sense!). I made my run without a top, then found I needed one. I had to add extra pieces of wood to the side of my hutch (you can see what I mean in my photo) to widen it slightly to make it square, as I hadn't anticipated adding a roof (my other bunnies weren't ever as jumpy as Loxxy is :p ). If that makes sense :?

Thanks Loxxy...Thats the thing I am most worried about - being rubbish at cutting the wood to perfect size :lol: I am pretty sure I can twist my dads arm to give me some help tho! (he swore blind he wouldnt be involved in the 'new pet' and it was all our responsiblity - me & my sisters, but as soon as I mentioned the hutch - he was out there putting it up!!)

Just put my mesh in the basket & the staples....Just having a browse for anything else I may need...It was my intention to have hinged sides so come the summer I can fold the 'extension' down if I wanted to somehow look at adding the 7 x 4ft run onto the huch...But guess I can just unscrew the rigid plates & look into replacing with hinges at a later date :D

The rigid ones will be much more secure anyway!

Back