• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT help needed poorly rabbit

Hi,

Really need opinons regarding my rabbit he is 5 1/5 year old house rabbit.
A couple of months ago we found out that he had a ear infection Staphylococcus Aureus.We have been treating him with Baytril into his ear and orally with no effect.My vet gave him a flush through and discovered he had no ear drum and the infection was in his middle ear.We have also tried giving him daily injections of Ceporex for 3 weeks.My vet said even thought the ear looks better (inflamation gone) there is no big change and the infection is still there and she dont feel we are getting on top of the infection.He is also getting sore from injectons.My vet advised to keep in on Metacam until I decided the best time to put him to sleep.I am now so worried,he is still eating very well plenty of poo's and wee's still interested in his enviroment still likes snuggles and cleaning himself....but in the last few days he is grinding his teeth more,even when his body looks relaxed.Apart from the grinding not much in his behaviour has change......Do you think it is time to put him to sleep???
I find it hard to know if he is pain he has been on and off grinding since we found out about infection and then he confuses me by playing....he must be abit uncomfortable but is he ready to be put asleep???

Thankyou for reading I would really be thankful for advice x

Have you tried giving him something crunchie to eat? Apple or crispbread...

Perhaps take him to the vet to see if he is in pain etc and then go from there, many animals wont eat if they are suffering (pain, stress etc) so all the time he seems happy then go with it, but be aware that the time will come when his health drops and you have to make the call.

Hope all goes well :)

Such a hard one to call, but I'd agree, take him to the vet to get an opinion about how much pain he is in and then take it from there. If he is still eating and playing a bit then he isn't ready to give up. But if the vet says he is really struggling and poor bun is trying his bets to hide it from you then you have no option but to make the (VERY TOUGH) decision for him
big hugs :love:

Just to say you might get more responses if you put this in the Health section - sorry i don;t know how to move it but I think it would be better in there. :)

No experience with this and I hope your bunny is feeling ok. Just wanted to bump the thread up for someone with more exp to see it. :)

Back